Discuss Haverland Heater problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Martyn

-
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm not an electrician. I have two Haverland electric panel heaters (RC8DRY 1000w) that are not used very often as they are in a holiday home in Spain. They are a few years old and have worked perfectly until recently when they both developed the exact same problem at the same time. Too much of a coincidence for my liking.

Even though the heaters were bought in Spain, I cannot find an electrician that knows anything about them over here. Before I admit defeat and buy new ones, I just want to make sure that it's not something simple.

So, they both power up and show the current room temperature as they should. The digital display appears to work fine until I press the button to take it out of standby mode, it then goes really dim and almost unreadable. From there, no matter what mode I am in (auto or manual) there is no heat at all.

I have a multimeter and have tested the incoming power, internal transformer, glass fuse, switch and temperature sensor. I have checked the element for continuity (although wasn't sure if it should be removed to be tested?) and it seems ok.

I have tried to contact Haverland in the UK but never get a reply.

Any ideas?

Sometimes there are tiny batteries (button cells) on the PCB so that might be worth a second look?
Where in Spain are you? I ask this because I have a home there and it's alwaqys been a problem keeping appliances working, especially by the sea and in the mountains...something to do with the damp air. A TV lasts about 3 years, for example. I have resurrected a couple, and an oven or three, by drying them out, simply warming them with a hair dryer. The ovens, Bosch, so reasonably good quality, have failed a couple of times, but if I "hair-dryer" them they can come back to life, for a while. It seems that this is mainly due to the fact that they are used only intermittently, as is the normal case with items not in daily use, ie, in a holiday home.
In your case, it's ironic that you can't heat them up and maybe heal themselves...
I'll phone Alanis later!
Good luck with finding a solution, but if you are unlucky with that, do what the locals do...buy cheap, buy often...es la vida

Sometimes there are tiny batteries (button cells) on the PCB so that might be worth a second look?
Where in Spain are you? I ask this because I have a home there and it's alwaqys been a problem keeping appliances working, especially by the sea and in the mountains...something to do with the damp air. A TV lasts about 3 years, for example. I have resurrected a couple, and an oven or three, by drying them out, simply warming them with a hair dryer. The ovens, Bosch, so reasonably good quality, have failed a couple of times, but if I "hair-dryer" them they can come back to life, for a while. It seems that this is mainly due to the fact that they are used only intermittently, as is the normal case with items not in daily use, ie, in a holiday home.
In your case, it's ironic that you can't heat them up and maybe heal themselves...
I'll phone Alanis later!
Good luck with finding a solution, but if you are unlucky with that, do what the locals do...buy cheap, buyE
I'll phone Alanis later!
Good luck with finding a solution, but if you are unlucky with that, do what the locals do...buy cheap, buy often...es la vida

Hi

Thank you for your reply. There are no button cells on the pcb. There are no signs of damp but have tried your suggestion of drying out with a hair dryer, but no change.

My place is in Aspe, just north of Elche, Alicante on the Costa Blanca. where are you?

I'll phone Alanis later!
Hi. No button cells on the pcb. No damp detected, although I did try drying out with a hair dryer as you suggested, but no change.

I am in Aspe, just north of Elche on the Costa Blanca. Where are you?

Many thanks for your reply.

I would have suggested replacing the dropper capacitor that powers the circuit but you mention a transformer?
Thank you for your reply. I don't think it is a transformer but there is some sort of power supply inside (240v 16amp). It's only about an inch and a half square. Ive put a multimeter on it and am getting 240v in and out of it so assume it is working ok. Dropper capacitor is a real possibility, so thank you for the advice.

Elche! My fave taxi driver lives there...but that's a whole different story. I'm in Menorca, south coast, by the beach.

Reply to Haverland Heater problem in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock