Discuss Having problem with NICEIC electrician in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Landlord

I'm a landlord who renovates properties for rent and for sale. I'm currently renovating eight flats and I employed an NICEIC-registered electrician to do the modifications to some flats/rewire others. During the time he was doing this I also got him months of work on other building jobs I was doing for private customers.

We agreed a daily "mates rate" for him which included him mucking in to do non-electrical stuff on the renovations of the eight flats. We also agreed a price for him to do the NICEIC installation and periodic certificates. I paid him as we went along. During the renovation of the second-last of eight flats I paid him for the certificates when a private customer I'd done a roof for turned up at the door and paid me in cash. He was there and it was easier than taking the money to the bank.

Now at the end of the job he's claiming that I didn't pay him for any of the certificates. He actually emailed me the installation certificates minus his signature so I suppose I have them? He left the physical certificates in a file which I put in a drawer on the property but he took them back without me knowing. So I currently have emailed copies of the installation certificates but not the periodics and I have two one-page installation certificates for two flats out of eight.

I didn't actually keep a written record of what I paid him. I know this is stupid but he's a mate. We used to go for a drink after work and everything. He's now asking me for an unspecified amount of money to give me the paperwork I need. He's doing this because he's a qualified solar installer who is doing zero business at the minute -- I was helping him out by letting him muck in with the non-electrical stuff but other than jobs via me he's had about half a dozen jobs all year and he's not doing so well, so he's after as much as he can get from Mr. Muggins here. So please, can you tell me what my best course of action is in this situation. Many thanks in advance and thanks for reading. :)

might be an idea to contact NICEIC and ask their advice.

just to sum up he term "NICEIC" is just that....! it means nothing...!!

just like if you get a breakdown poilcy...! AA , RAC , GREENFLAG.... all the same thing but the AA is appreently the more profesional... lol...

as Tel says, speak to the NICEIC as they have a very good customer focused stance...!

Pay him what he asks(if it's not megga bucks) then cut his rates till you get it back ,then kiss him goodbye. I'm sure you can wangle the labour back somehow.

I dont quite get it, if say you have paid him up to date for 4 of the flats, he should give you the completed certs for them.
You have employed him to do a job, rewire a flat, that has to include the certificate and notification to building control, he can not then charge you extra for the certificate.
Me personally and I dont suggest you do this, is demand the signed certificates of what have been paid for already whilst, holding his throat.

This one one big problem with cash payments, unless a receipt has been issued, no traceability.

If you do get a resolution and he does continue to work for you, at the end of the job ask for his bank details and pay via transfer.

When you paid him the last lot of cash, what does he think the payment was for?

Contacting the NICEIC will probably achieve nothing, as I reckon because the work hes done is ok then they'll be happy.

The amount of times i've done lots of bits here and there for 'landlords' who I know and they've always wanted to settle up as we went along in cash. Every time i've given them an invoice for each and every payment, just to make sure we didn't end up in a position like this.

Also you say that there been no payment for the certificates? Well just send a tenner for each one issued, that should easily cover his costs for them. Then next time you use someone do it by the book, as in quote and invoice!

Personally i would of gone for an ELECSA installation and certificates,:boxing_smiley:

This is a tough one, as obviously it's your word against his. I don't think there is anything we can say which will help, other than we all feel your pain.
The only positive to come out of this is the life-lesson that "there is no such thing as a mate in business". Hopefully, this may have prevented you getting stung for more in the future.
Best of luck with this.

I wish people would stop assuming that NICEIC is the best you can get.
If Carlsberg made electricians, they would be Elecsa registered.....probably :iagree:

Its when i hear that stuffs gone wrong after using the NICEIC super sparks, that my sympathy starts to dwindle for them

Its when i hear that stuffs gone wrong after using the NICEIC super sparks, that my sympathy starts to dwindle for them

Nothing to do with NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit. It's just opinion. There are good and bad with all. A lot depends on attitudes of providers and that just depends which individual you deal with. No, I'm not happy with things in general but it's something
we have to put up with, worse luck.

what i want to know is where EICRs have come from....not for these rewires i hope.....

Nothing to do with NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit. It's just opinion. There are good and bad with all. A lot depends on attitudes of providers and that just depends which individual you deal with.

You don't say.

Was more of a tongue in cheek comment.

- - - Updated - - -

seems a load of... to me,i bet theres a spark out of pocket somewhere in this story,landlord/pays in cash?? suddenly doesnt get his paperwork..

You have a point there:pimp2:

well David.....i`m not of the frame of mind that `this scheme is better than that scheme` n all that lot...their all a necessary evil.....parasitic.....but it seems that quite a few `NIC qualified electricians`...are either not upto standard...or basically just taking the michael....bit i aint pointing the finger at any particular scheme....it just seems a bit of a trend....

All schemes are as bad as one another, we all know that.

Think the main reason for any slagging of the NIC is down to that small rotund fellow going around blowing their trumpet all the time, like there the only scheme provider to be registered with

All schemes are as bad as one another, we all know that.

Think the main reason for any slagging of the NIC is down to that small rotund fellow going around blowing their trumpet all the time, like there the only scheme provider to be registered with

oh you mean Mr Cable.....think his son has took over stearing that particular little gallion now though.....

Reply to Having problem with NICEIC electrician in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock