Discuss having trouble keypad configuring. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lee mcgrath

hi guys,,just fitted a veritas r8 alarm,with keypad,,all works fine,,i have just added another keypad,,with power off,,turned power back on,but the keypad just doesnt work,,it is lit up but the buttons make no sound,,both keypads have different addresses having done so on the dipswitches,any ideas,,my head has gone. so thats 2 keypads butonly one working.many thanks.ps no daisy chain,just straight back to panel.

Have you double checked that the wiring to the T (Transmit) & R (Receive) terminals are properly connected on both ends & not crossed ?.
If you've stapled the wires around, check carefully that you haven't put a staple through the cable and damaged 1 of the cores.
Fully power down & looking at the dip switches from left to right, with 1 being the L/H switch. On RKP1 1: Not used, 2: off, 3: off & 4: off.
On RKP2 1:Not used, 2: off, 3: off & 4: on. Now power up & try the system.
If your still having problems, power down & disconnect the keypads at the panel, now reconnect the non working one & set the switches as RKP1, power up again & see if it works on its own.
Let me know what happens please.

Have you double checked that the wiring to the T (Transmit) & R (Receive) terminals are properly connected on both ends & not crossed ?.
If you've stapled the wires around, check carefully that you haven't put a staple through the cable and damaged 1 of the cores.
Fully power down & looking at the dip switches from left to right, with 1 being the L/H switch. On RKP1 1: Not used, 2: off, 3: off & 4: off.
On RKP2 1:Not used, 2: off, 3: off & 4: on. Now power up & try the system.
If your still having problems, power down & disconnect the keypads at the panel, now reconnect the non working one & set the switches as RKP1, power up again & see if it works on its own.
Let me know what happens please.
great stuff,,i will try this at work tomorrow,,when you say number 1 not used,,,does it matter if its switched up or down,,i am new to this stuff but greatful of your help..i will let u know if i get them up and running,cheers

No problems mate, we all need to start somewhere.
With the number one dipswitch, it doesn't matter which way it's set.

Hope you find it's something easy like a bad connection.

not too familiar with the veritas, but does 1 keypad require a resistor fitting when more than 1 keypad is installed\/

When you say you've tested them separately, were they on the normal cable runs to where they will be fitted or did you try them on a short length of cable at the panel ?.
If they worked individually on their normal cable runs then you've either accidentaly got the wrong addresses selected on a keypad or we've got a panel fault.

When you say you've tested them separately, were they on the normal cable runs to where they will be fitted or did you try them on a short length of cable at the panel ?.
If they worked individually on their normal cable runs then you've either accidentaly got the wrong addresses selected on a keypad or we've got a panel fault.
yeah normal runs,,i will check the adresses again mate,cheers

Let's try what we've got so far buddy & then we'll take it from there, believe me I know how easy it is to get a wrong address set when your in a rush or stressed.:)
Not that I've ever made that mistake myself you understand ;) :D

yeah normal runs,,i will check the adresses again mate,cheers
is it best to connect one at a time,or can i wire both but with different adresses.
Let's try what we've got so far buddy & then we'll take it from there, believe me I know how easy it is to get a wrong address set when your in a rush or stressed.:)
Not that I've ever made that mistake myself you understand ;) :D
will do mate,,and i am sure you never mess up.top bloke.catch you tomorrow

Morning: Try doing them one at a time & make certain you have them addressed correctly. Once you've done that & they're definitely at different addresses, then they can both be connected & fingers crossed work together.
Forgot to ask: As it's an R8, please tell me it's 2 LED keypads your installing ? The system won't successfully run LCD's.

If you put power to each keypad 1 at a time but leave t/r disconnected the keypad LED's will show what address it's set at.
From the programming menu enter 09, The LED's will show any keypads that are configured & online. Press programme to scan for new keypads.
When finished press reset to leave programming.

Sorry it's so long winded but it's such a long time since I installed an R8, I keep having to refer to the manual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely excellent mate :), knew you'd sort it ;) (ain't fault finding fun ?). Thanks for taking the time to let me know.
Glad I could be of help, have a good weekend. You deserve it after that.

Reply to having trouble keypad configuring. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock