Discuss HD channels breaking up on Freesat via built-in tuner on new LG TV in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Kawasutra

DIY
Reaction score
Bought a new telly and it has a freesat tuner. My house is wired for Satellite so I plugged in the cable to the telly.
Almost all channels are fine, however, BBC HD channels break up with both picture and sound, so completely unwatchable.
I read of a known issue on this BBC blog and also this Freesat info .

They say in the freesat info page that "If the issue continues, then your satellite dish installation may require to be checked."

Have also tried switching the TV off at mains, retuning the channels, with both cables, still same crappy tuning for BBC HD and also ITV HD channels.

I have two cables coming from the dish and I've tried connecting each one to the single input on the back of the TV.

Does anyone know what needs checking please?

TL;DR
BBC and ITV HD channels crappy on Freesat. Have retuned a couple of times and also swapped the sat cables in case one's got stronger signal
Was the satellite feed working before or is this the first time you used it?

If it’s been a while, it could be anything from misalignment, bad connection, moisture in the cables, etc

Find a local tv engineer. They will have tools to measure signal strength etc.

If it’s only bbc and itv channels, can’t you receive them via terrestrial aerial?

Was the satellite feed working before or is this the first time you used it?

If it’s been a while, it could be anything from misalignment, bad connection, moisture in the cables, etc

Find a local tv engineer. They will have tools to measure signal strength etc.

If it’s only bbc and itv channels, can’t you receive them via terrestrial aerial?
Had a sky box and all worked fine.

I don't have a Terrestrial connection, so can't test.

Idea was to use the telly's built in sat receiver to get freesat, no need to loft aerial.

Does the onscreen display has a "Quality & Signal " display. if all was ok before remake the F connector. it's all I have to go on at the moment

They're showing quite good and C5 HD channels, as well as non-HD channels are without breakup.

I believe "freesat" requires slightlyyyyyyyy different alignment to sky or "freesat from sky" could be wrong but something to check

All SD and C5 HD channels are completely fine.

As I mentioned in my original post, there's a definite issue with BBC transmitters changing over to some new hardware a year or two ago that affected several freesat devices.

My question is about what they mean when they say "If the issue continues, then your satellite dish installation may require to be checked."

normal service will shortly resume.
hahaha... if only...for me..
[automerge]1582653530[/automerge]
It means you get a professional to come and check it?

I reckon this is where it's going. I'm going to at least call a professional and see what they have to say.

My suspicion is that the LG decoder hardware is of similar config to the set top boxes that experience the same problem.

Real shame as I was really looking forward to not having a set top box for freeview or free sat, and use the built in one.

Reply to HD channels breaking up on Freesat via built-in tuner on new LG TV in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock