Discuss Head-scratcher in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Doing an EICR that’s ‘interesting’.... found this. Installed by a solar outfit, it’s the first thing in circuit after the supply meter, feeds back into a pair of Henley’s doing the rest of the mess. L & N terminals are wired incorrectly - can anyone think of a legit reason for doing this this way? And so no... there’s also no protection to it or means of isolation.
Head-scratcher E21D4918-E0FC-4AA6-98C4-E229A3AD71FB - EletriciansForums.net

Am I right in thinking it should be L in and N in at the top?
Are the colours right? 2 Lives at top and 2 neutrals bottom.

I’m surprised it’s working at all.

Am I right in thinking it should be L in and N in at the top?
Are the colours right? 2 Lives at top and 2 neutrals bottom.

I’m surprised it’s working at all.
The conductors themselves are correct - those are two neutrals etc, but it should be L/N top and L/N bottom (I checked online). So A) I'm not entirely sure exactly what it's been measuring anyway and B) the entire mess of an installation is in some way passing through it. When I get a minute I'll draw out and post the circuit.

The customer said to me (his words, not mine so please don't think me abrasive....) "It was a Polish sparks, at the end of a day, in a hurry to leave". Country of origin is irrelevant, but the rest I can absolutely see!!

The terminals are correct it is NN one end and LL the other end. Just fitted one of them.

Attachments

• SDM230D_Series_Manual.pdf
    205.6 KB · Views: 32
I don't like how those thin signal wires are so close to live terminals without any restraint.

The terminals are correct it is NN one end and LL the other end. Just fitted one of them.
Yep - I looked that up as well. The terminals are numbered on the casing as 1-2, 3-4, not 1-3, 2-4

I looked up the wrong one, then.

Attachments

• Eastron SDM230-MOD-MID v2_User-Manual-pdf Compressed Version.pdf
    525.8 KB · Views: 12
I don't like how those thin signal wires are so close to live terminals without any restraint.
Very much so.
Normally there would be plastic shrouds over the main terminals of a billing style of meter, not sure if this one is different in some (dumb) way for protection.

Wow...... that's a confusingly close error to make between the two almost identical units! One is as Vortigern says - LL, NN and the other is LN, LN.

OK, so we'll keep that one for FI on my next visit (pretty sure it's a V2 wired as a V1). In the meantime, it still seems to be in a useless and dangerous position in the circuit.

You think they got so confused as to where to put the L's and the N's, they completely forgot about the E?
(or B... or cpc.... you know what i mean)

Other (big) issues aside, at least it looks like it's rated to 19kA breaking capactiy (is that a common rating, 6 and 10 are the only ones I usually see in domestic?) So it shouldn't explode before the DNO fuse goes!

What are standard meters rated at?

Reply to Head-scratcher in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock