Discuss Head Torch in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparksburnout

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Now, I am sure I am not alone in using a head torch very frequently, in fact I would say they are almost an essential tool. Currently I have a pretzl tikka+, it produces a decent amount of light and lasts quite well, however I find it a ball-ache removing the batteries to recharge them every other day. Can anyone recommend a good USB-rechargeable LED one? I have been looking at Pretzl NAO but it has auto light sensing that I don't need (or want). all I want to do is just take it off and plug it in to recharge without any mucking about.

i got mine off ebay. it's not usb charge, but the charger plugs into the unit without removing the battery. and it's fantastically bright.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zoomable-1000LM-CREE-XM-L-T6-LED-Bicycle-Light-Headlamp-Miner-Torch-Flashlight-/321499548940?hash=item4adaddcd0c:g:GzAAAOxyyFhTea34

Last edited:
Led lenser h7r.2
Comes with a lithium battery pack. Bright enough for any job, even empty dark warehouses.
Lasts me a couple of weeks on one charge usually. Charges via micro usb.
Look around for deals but watch out for fakes on the interwebz.

i bought a lenser H7. not too impressed. the one i linked to is far brighter, although a bit heavy for prolonged wearing.

i bought a lenser H7. not too impressed. the one i linked to is far brighter, although a bit heavy for prolonged wearing.

You did turn the dimmer up didn't you? ;)

My H7 has been brilliant and lasted a few years until it finally died yesterday outside in the hooning rain setting up fireworks.

Led lenser h7r.2
Comes with a lithium battery pack. Bright enough for any job, even empty dark warehouses.
Lasts me a couple of weeks on one charge usually. Charges via micro usb.
Look around for deals but watch out for fakes on the interwebz.

I have the original h7r, bought it about two years back, and it now won't charge whatsoever, and even when it does, it just dies almost immediately. Need to open it up and see if I can suss a reason out really, it's either the charger or unit, I suspect the charger.

I have the original h7r, bought it about two years back, and it now won't charge whatsoever, and even when it does, it just dies almost immediately. Need to open it up and see if I can suss a reason out really, it's either the charger or unit, I suspect the charger.

Does it work ok if you put normal batteries in?

You did turn the dimmer up didn't you? ;)

My H7 has been brilliant and lasted a few years until it finally died yesterday outside in the hooning rain setting up fireworks.
yeah. it's OK for most work, but under the floor with a mirror to see obstructions and/or where a cable is, the big one will light up 20ft.

It's me!!!

I haven't used it for months because it's been too unreliable and I've had to cope with my phone instead, I now feel like an idiot, a sad one at that because I'm now rather excited about testing it with normal batteries in the morning haha.

For the symptoms you've described it sounds like the rechargeable batteries have died.
If it works in normal batteries then that should confirm it then you can just replace the rechargeables.

I have the same torch which used to live in the van plugged in to the smoke lighter socket until the rechargeables went the same way and I never got around to replacing them.

Well the charging started to go first, and I used to have to fiddle around with the plug and have it in a certain position before it would start flashing. And that's another thing, it obviously flashes green when charging but was supposed to just have a permanent green light when charged, but mine would just flash forever.

I don't even remember when it stopped working properly, could well have been over a year ago, and it's just sat in its little pouch, in my tool bag ever since. I was weaned off of it due to the fact that it would just die so quickly all the time, so if it is just the batteries, and I now have my torch back, I owe you a big drink! I would go and check now but missus is asleep, I'm in bed, and I have the noisiest front door on earth.

Thanks for all your replies lads, however, don't you find these a bit heavy to wear? I have been looking at the pretzl nao, which is half the weight of these? Might look even weirder when I forget I've got it on and walk into birds for a sausage roll as well.

Reply to Head Torch in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net