Discuss Headlights on Smartcar delay in switching on in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I recently purchased an old 2003 Smart Car as a 2nd run around car. I've noticed recently that some times when I turn the head lights to dipped or main beam there might be a long delay before they actually switch on. Some days it is instant and others I have this problem. Also the dash back lights do not turn on until the headlights are on with the same obvious delay.
The lights will always switch on eventually if I just wait so don't think it is anything directly to do with the bulbs....Can anyone give an idea why this might be happening.

Hi,it don't sound so smart,to me....

It is 15+ years old,so it can have some slack:) i do not remember if the ECU has the load shedding carry-on,which prioritises electrical use.....probably not,at that age.
If both lamps come on together,it sounds like a switching delay,or lazy relay. Could even be a bad connection,power to or from,which vibrates and makes good.

Back to basics,i reckon....check operating handbook,forums,etc,for any deliberate reason,or known fault. Then,it's line tracing the power route,from battery,through all links,fuses,relays,etc. A good physical,visual inspection will be needed,as testing would need to be carried out,during fault.

Barring that,celotape two petrol station counter led torches,to the bonnet....should match the original output ;)

Reply to Headlights on Smartcar delay in switching on in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, I want to ask, I'm going to change the lights on a Skoda mk2 for a black version, I noticed that they only have one h7 bulb and a bixenon...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hoping someone might be able to help a little, we got our daughter a renault twizy, but the headlights do not work. The side lights...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm looking for some advice for adding a time delay on my parent's shower room fan. My parents had a section of their garage converted into a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I'm trying to put a light-bar on my (facelifted) Land Rover Freelander 2. I'm wanting to wire it so the light-bar will be energised when I...
Replies
Views
My kitchen has track lighting. It consists of three halogen light bulbs. I've had the fixture for more than 25 years with no issues. Last night...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock