• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Headlights on Smartcar delay in switching on in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently purchased an old 2003 Smart Car as a 2nd run around car. I've noticed recently that some times when I turn the head lights to dipped or main beam there might be a long delay before they actually switch on. Some days it is instant and others I have this problem. Also the dash back lights do not turn on until the headlights are on with the same obvious delay.
The lights will always switch on eventually if I just wait so don't think it is anything directly to do with the bulbs....Can anyone give an idea why this might be happening.

Hi,it don't sound so smart,to me....

It is 15+ years old,so it can have some slack:) i do not remember if the ECU has the load shedding carry-on,which prioritises electrical use.....probably not,at that age.
If both lamps come on together,it sounds like a switching delay,or lazy relay. Could even be a bad connection,power to or from,which vibrates and makes good.

Back to basics,i reckon....check operating handbook,forums,etc,for any deliberate reason,or known fault. Then,it's line tracing the power route,from battery,through all links,fuses,relays,etc. A good physical,visual inspection will be needed,as testing would need to be carried out,during fault.

Barring that,celotape two petrol station counter led torches,to the bonnet....should match the original output ;)

Reply to Headlights on Smartcar delay in switching on in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back