Discuss Health and safety and risk assessment for one man band in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning all I know the questions probably been asked a lot.
Basically I done some work for a company last month and put my invoice in at the start of last month now there asking for health and safety policy and risk assessment. What's the score being a one man band solo trader.

Morning all I know the questions probably been asked a lot.
Basically I done some work for a company last month and put my invoice in at the start of last month now there asking for health and safety policy and risk assessment. What's the score being a one man band solo trader.
You need both

Personally, I think it's a nonsense. It's very hard to have a policy when nothing is written down.

As for the schemes... I don't think it's a bad thing that they insist on having a written policy even if you're a one man band.

There is an assumption that the company isn't going to pay the OP. It could be that acquiring this is standard practice. It could be argued that it should be collected before they engage someone but a pending payment does have a tendency to focus ones attention, so they may have better success obtaining it at the invoicing stage.

Personally I would write one that covers the basic scenarios (working at height, live working, using ladders, using power tools etc.) and send it to them with a reminder that the invoice is overdue.

If you have fewer than 5 employees you don't actually need a written health and safety policy.

It might not be a legal requirement but a customer can put any conditions they want on carrying out work on thier premises prior to giving an order to someone.

The only issue here is the RAMS should have been requested before work started, not picked up on a check list by someone in accounts after the work was completed.

The last few companies that I worked for before retiring had complex approval systems before any subcontractor could even quote.

I have seen insurance company requirements that the business has H&S and RA docs in place. I've used the ones in @SparkyChick post copies duly sent to CPS and annually reviewed etc.

On a lighter note I have got a PPE related item in the RA Slips and Trips section. Action is to confirm suitable footwear for site and elimination of trip hazard by doing laces up. Very effective as I haven't fallen on my butt yet :) .

Personally, I think it's a nonsense. It's very hard to have a policy when nothing is written down.

Personally I would write one that covers the basic scenarios (working at height, live working, using ladders, using power tools etc.) and send it to them with a reminder that the invoice is overdue.

Why would I as a sole trader need a health and safety policy? The only employee I have is me so the only person who needs to read and adhere to it is me.

That wouldn't be a health and safety policy, that would be risk assessments and method statements if it covers specific tasks, a health and safety policy sets out a company's general attitude/approach to health and safety, not the specific mechanisms by which it is applied.

Why would I as a sole trader need a health and safety policy? The only employee I have is me so the only person who needs to read and adhere to it is me.

That wouldn't be a health and safety policy, that would be risk assessments and method statements if it covers specific tasks, a health and safety policy sets out a company's general attitude/approach to health and safety, not the specific mechanisms by which it is applied.

Then don't have one, but this thread is an example of why you might like to have one.

Do I need one? No because the company only has two employees me and A. N. Other. Do I have one? Yes, because well... it's easy to produce one using the HSE resources, so why wouldn't you?

Reply to Health and safety and risk assessment for one man band in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock