Discuss Health & Safety - Signage / barriers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've just been reading this article

Electrical contractor fined after two fell down floor hatch - https://www.ioshmagazine.com/electrical-contractor-fined-after-two-fell-down-floor-hatch

"Four electricians arrived at 82-year-old Emily Begg's bungalow on 19 February 2018 to carry out the work, which involved accessing areas underneath the floor via hatches. On 20 February, one of the hatches was left open and uncovered while an employee went to fetch his tools from another room.

Begg fell through the hole and sustained a deep cut on her leg, as well as severe bruising.
Her brother-in-law fell through the hatch later that day when he entered the property to check on her, The Press and Journal reported.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) said both incidents could have been prevented had adequate barriers and physical warning signs been erected around the hole.
R.B. Wilson Electrical admitted breaching reg 6(3) of the Work at Height Regulations and was fined ÂŁ24,000 last week at Aberdeen Sheriff Court.
HSE inspector Elaine McAllister said: "This incident could so easily have been avoided by simply carrying out correct control measures and safe working practices."

Personally we have never used any purpose made 'adequate barriers and physical warning signs' in private dwellings, what are others using (if anything)?
We have relied mainly on peoples common sense and cooperation in saying 'please can you keep out of here / please don't go in there / are you going out' etc. This has an extremely poor success rate.

Could anyone point us towards a site sign (on an optional post?) that would be releveant to house bashing jobs- e.g. one that doesn't have heavy machinery, hard hat, report to site office etc. which are the generic 'building site' ones available.
See plenty of plastic barrier chain available in screwfix / online.

If you ask somebody nicely to keep out of the way, they will find any excuse to get in your way (I'll just grab this, I just have to do that... ). We are forever surrounded by the elderly, drunken dole scum and their feral offspring, and the terminally thick.
A woman approaching 100 years old would not stop making her way into her under-construction ground floor bedroom & wet room a few months back, for a look. A carer for a bloke with learning difficulties brought him home 5 hours early (the house was meant to be empty for the day- and was when we started), moved a lot of tools and furniture we had put in the way of the front door and made her way (along with the bloke) to the living room- with floorboards removed- to put a table and chairs back right in the middle of where we were working (asked them to leave- they wouldn't, they sat and had sausage and mash).

People will just ignore signs and move barriers, but if having them on site reduces the risk, and prevents us being liable for a ÂŁ24k fine and a naming and shaming then surely it's the way forward.

Post someone at the hatch to prevent access, don't leave a hatch open unattended, if someone is present that should not be, pack up and leave.

I seen a dude fall off ladders one day (10ft), he fell off ladder and landed in the raised floor opening 600 x 600. it was an ambulance job.

Post someone at the hatch to prevent access, don't leave a hatch open unattended, if someone is present that should not be, pack up and leave.
Yes, this is all obvious common sense and the first 'line of defence'.

There isn't always an additional hand to post where some floorboards are up, people can always show up unexpected to a site and invade the area- then they're already there.

In the article, the electricians couldn't pack up and leave before the brother in law came in to have a fall around- you can't pack up and leave before they turn up unexpected- unless you have a crystal ball.

Although the electricians in this article do sound like they should have been more careful! (Four of them? Maybe it was a rewire on a price).

What if there are no gaps in the floor, and a householder trips over a rolled up carpet and ends up blue lighted? Is that the electricians fault also, and will they have to explain to a judge why 'adequate barriers and physical warning signs' weren't in place.

Accidents can happen, does anybody on this forum use any 'adequate barriers and physical warning signs' that the court in this article state could have prevented this? What signage? Where from?
?

What if there are no gaps in the floor, and a householder trips over a rolled up carpet and ends up blue lighted? Is that the electricians fault also, and will they have to explain to a judge why 'adequate barriers and physical warning signs' weren't in place.
Guilty of introducing a tripping hazard.
Accidents can happen, does anybody on this forum use any 'adequate barriers and physical warning signs' that the court in this article state could have prevented this? What signage? Where from?
?
Sign on Locked front and back door, "Building site do not enter unless authorised" don't let anyone in until you have cleared the hazards and are ready to leave the site.

Accidents can happen,

If they are as a result of the actions of a trades person, they aren't accidents, they're avoidable incidents.

The fine was as large as it was due the repeat incident with the Brother in Law, obviously no-one learned a thing from the first one.

And yes if it was a rolled up carpet or anything else disturbed by the tradesperson then they'd be to blame.

What signage? Where from?
?
Google, there's thousands of signs and more importantly barriers.

If they are as a result of the actions of a trades person, they aren't accidents, they're avoidable incidents.

The fine was as large as it was due the repeat incident with the Brother in Law, obviously no-one learned a thing from the first one.

And yes if it was a rolled up carpet or anything else disturbed by the tradesperson then they'd be to blame.

Google, there's thousands of signs and more importantly barriers.
It's unbelievable that they didn't do anything about it ?

I'm struggling to find signage releveant to this so hoped that somebody who uses this forum who has previously tried to find the exact thing I'm after could point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
A basic Men at Work would be a good start.

View attachment 84755

Cheap and cheerful warning tape can useful.

Spot on.

Thinking more into it, I can't seem to find a stock site safety sign that is particularly relevant to those occupied domestic / housebashing jobs. I'm going to order some custom signs and I'll post the result here when I get round to it!

Do any of you get the householder / tenant to sign a disclaimer when working in occupied houses?

I find it difficult to accept that the customer wasn’t at fault herself. Should have known there would be upheaval. Move out if you’re getting major work done.

It’s like wanting to take your car out for a drive while it’s up on the jacks getting it’s brakes done at kwik fit.

as for the second person.... the trades were maybe told to leave things as the were for h&s investigation.
Old boy is told not to enter by trades, but comes in anyway. Cos customers don’t always listen.

I find it difficult to accept that the customer wasn’t at fault herself. Should have known there would be upheaval. Move out if you’re getting major work done.

It’s like wanting to take your car out for a drive while it’s up on the jacks getting it’s brakes done at kwik fit.

as for the second person.... the trades were maybe told to leave things as the were for h&s investigation.
Old boy is told not to enter by trades, but comes in anyway. Cos customers don’t always listen.
Absolutely, there are always two sides to a story.

I've worked in places where people would wrestle you out of the way for the opportunity to trip over something. I've even recently had people come home unexpectedly to get the dining table and chairs back out, right in the middle of where we're working, to have sausage and mash.

With regards to 'should have known there'd be upheaval'. That would imply that customers and tenants have any common sense. We've been to properties where the householder doesn't even know where the electric meter is, or that having electrical work done might mean the electric needs turning off!

Worst (best?) one I had was a bedroom in a new extension with ceiling boards in place for the room below, but no flooring at all in the room.
I brought the customer to the bedroom door to ask about the positioning of the sockets, held the bedroom door shut while I explained that there was no floor inside and she must not enter, then opened the door and started the discussion.
After a minute or so, she suddenly stepped forwards into the room, with no warning whatsoever. The inevitable happened of course, and I stood there in disbelief as she rattled down between the joists. (She was a large lady, and the 353mm gap between joists slowed her descent considerably).

Reply to Health & Safety - Signage / barriers in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net