Discuss Health & Safety - Working at Heights and access equipment. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Echo

Currently we are just getting everything in place ready to get the ball rolling with becoming MCS accredited.

One thing I would like to know is how the rest of you out there who are fitting pv systems already, gain and provide safe access to the roof while meeting health and safety requirements.

Do you own/hire a cherry picker? I know for the majority of jobs this may well be a suitable way, but you may not always be able to gain access to get the cherry picker in.

Do you have scaffolding erected or do you just use ladders? If its just ladders how do you get on with getting all the equipment up on the roof?

We are thinking about getting a towable cherry picker and for the jobs where we can't gain access having scaffold erected. But I was just interested in the methods others used.

Yeah I agree on the front of no substitute for safety, only reason I asked about the cherry picker was the scaffolding company I was in touch with said they leave it up for a minimum of 2-3 weeks and a prospective client had abit of a grumble at this and obviously the cost of having it in place for 2-3 weeks eats into the profit margin when it will only be used for a few days.

I can't see a cherry picker being any use to be honest. The work for installing is on the roof not above it. To comply with H&S regs you must wear a harness while operating a cherry picker which prevents you form falling out. Scaffold and ridge ladders are the workable way to install roof panels. A weeks hire of a scaffold erected and removed isn't bank breaking. We have scaffold on every roof job regardless of height. It is just so convenient to work from a full lift at gutter height for tools, tiles, brackets, panels etc rather than climbing up and down a ladder every two minutes to get bits and bobs. The man cage on a Cherry Picker would be far to restrictive to work from and once at work you shouldn't leave the cage.

Never even seen one of those but it looks a bit lightweight for installation work.

That Bracomac system looks terrifying. I can't imagine it would even be legal to use one in the UK - it looks rather, err, French.

Mark is right. Cherry Pickers are a working platform and they shouldn't be used to gain access to roofs etc.

We use scaffold on all our jobs but are considering investing in the Easy Dec system. Has anyone used this?

I was having a look at that as an alternative to scaffolding, however, I don't think I'd feel too comfortable working off one of those! Probably have to try it and go up on one before I invested in one. If you get one Biggs you will have to let us all know what they are like!

Has anyone considered using the MAC ladder system for PV install? MACC - BRACOMAC

It doesn't comply with UK H&S. For one thing, it cannot be used as a retaining point - you cannot harness to it. For another, it doesn't look as though the ladders are in any way secured to the wall - you're effectively doubling the risk of a fall working off two ladders. It also looks, to be honest, as though it effectively suffers the same kind of restrictions in terms of work area that you'd get using a cherry picker. How does it cope with un-even surfaces?

As all the guys have said - proper tools for the job, and in this case, scaffolding is the correct method for safety and working convenience.

I'm sorry to say that I'd probably halt work and potentially sack anyone using that kind of an arrangement to work extensively on a roof - primarily for their own safety - and I wouldn't judge the risk acceptable from a cherry picker either (for installation). Cherry pickers may be acceptable for remedial/breakdown work.

Best thing I can suggest in your case, is start talking to local scaffolders, and see if you can get some kind of deal for repeat work. A suitable platform up the side or front of a house is an hour's work to them, and it's certificated, and it's compliant with health and safety legislation.

Mark is right. Cherry Pickers are a working platform and they shouldn't be used to gain access to roofs etc.

We use scaffold on all our jobs but are considering investing in the Easy Dec system. Has anyone used this?

I have never worked off Easy Dec but a conservatory and window company we work for has got a couple of sets for replacing first floor windows. It's much stronger than it looks but the working space is confined. Ground needs to be hard to support the weight of each leg or like the window company they made some feet to spread the weight if soft ground. There are some anchor points which can be fixed to the house or alike. I think (Bit not sure) the biggest draw back is the cost of it. I have heard prices being batted around of the ÂŁ7K mark for the full PV kit but please check this out and don't take my word for it.

The solardec access platform is ok. It does the job but you need the solardec and 5.5m platform at ÂŁ6500.

Benefit no problems with scaffold company.

Down side is that you have to put it up in the morning and take it down on a night. If you can do 4kw system in a day on traditional scaffold on solardec it will probably push it in to second day making it false ecomomy depending on number of installs to be done in week.

Can get a lot of scaffold hire for ÂŁ6500. Another benefit of using scaffold is, it's not time taken out of the install. We considered buying some tube and fitting scaffold and doing the relevant course but by the time you work out the loading and unloading as well as erecting, dismantle and storage it isn't worth it.

There is one interesting bit of info I have. Boss tower scaffolding are doing a course to give access to the roof of the platform with two other tower manufacturers to compete in the solar market with solar dec. It could be a solution to expensive scaffolding costs - getting info on course next week.

Hiya - I'm new here and just picked up on this thread as we're going through the process of becoming registered. We use Easi-Dec Solar-Dec the system and are just about to purchase second system as we're expanding well. We had a demonstration before we purchased which was free, and we honeslty wourlnt work off of anything else now. It's defintely the safest and fastest - hey maybe they'll give me discount off new order as I've said that! We also use their special roof hook with a kneeler board. Hope this helps!

Our guys fit in pairs and it takes them half an hour to unload the van and get the kit up. It took a bit longer to start with to be fair but they've got really slick at it. It's definitely safe - we asked loads of questions to their safety officer and we're all trained in using it - we have certificates and I know the HSE have seen it because it was shown at one of their forum events near to us recently. I'd recommend a demo mate - or at least speak to them - it's been well worth our time and like I say we've got another set of kit on the way. We can do a couple of 4kw 18panel installs in a day. Good luck.

Reply to Health & Safety - Working at Heights and access equipment. in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock