Discuss Heat Alarm Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

allytech

Hi folks,

Just had a rewire done but subsequently had to replace two ceilings which meant an electrician removing my heat alarm from the ceiling.

I'm looking to reconnect it now and don't want to waste a day waiting for the electrician to come back out but unsure of the wiring terminations and so looking for advice.

The cables coming from the celing are BLACK - GREY - BROWN AND EARTH

The heat alarm wires are YELLOW - BROWN - BLUE

The heat alarm unit is a HiSPEC HSA/HE model and the instruction wiring is a like for like instruction - but obviously this isn't the case in my situation as the colors don't match.

I'm guessing the earth is left disconnected in it's block so any advice on how to marry up these wires would be welcomed.

I have two smoke alarms interconnected but this heat alarm i beleive is stand alone. Although I trained as an instrument tech back in the day and have worked on rewires in the past - these interconnected smoke alarms and heat alarms are all new to me.

Any quality advice welcomed thanks.

The cables need to be tested, and traced to the smokes to confirm which cables the electrician has used for power and interlink. Not all electricians will follow the correct black/grey combination.

Hi folks,

Just had a rewire done but subsequently had to replace two ceilings which meant an electrician removing my heat alarm from the ceiling.

I'm looking to reconnect it now and don't want to waste a day waiting for the electrician to come back out but unsure of the wiring terminations and so looking for advice.

The heat alarm unit is a HiSPEC HSA/HE model and the instruction wiring is a like for like instruction - but obviously this isn't the case in my situation as the colors don't match.

I'm guessing the earth is left disconnected in it's block so any advice on how to marry up these wires would be welcomed.

I have two smoke alarms interconnected but this heat alarm i beleive is stand alone. Although I trained as an instrument tech back in the day and have worked on rewires in the past - these interconnected smoke alarms and heat alarms are all new to me.

The heat alarm should be linked to the smokes.
My guess is it is otherwise there would be no point in the 3 core. Your brown/black/grey will be a live/neutral and interconnect,but without testing it is not possible to be sure which core has been used for what and a wrong connection will do irrepairable damage to the alarm(s).Correctly it should be brown-live....black-interconnect....grey sleeved blue-neutral.The alarm will be brown-live....blue-neutral....yellow-interconnect. If you can trace the cable back it may be possible to visually verify connections at it's source of supply.

Hi folks,

Hum.... are you sure its time you are trying not to waste?

Thanks for that I'll need to dig my multi meter out and trace just to be sure. Cheers tho

of course it's time - place has been a mess for seven weeks I just wanted it done and to waste a holiday waiting for an electrician to turn up at some point for three wires is silly.

Reply to Heat Alarm Wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net