Discuss heater electrical sparking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steven Longstan

Hi chaps,

ive had a call out to an electrical curtain type heater which the client said is sparking.

Upon inspection i cant find anything apartarnt.

However ive noticed that the isolator used on this signal phase supply is a TPN isolator. Ive recommended they change this to a DP isolator. Is they any way possible this could cause the spark?

im thinking no but i cant seem to find anything else it could be.

Hi chaps,

ive had a call out to an electrical curtain type heater which the client said is sparking.

However ive noticed that the isolator used on this signal phase supply is a TPN isolator. Ive recommended they change this to a DP isolator. Is they any way possible this could cause the spark?

It's only a device for breaking 4 poles

Hi chaps,

Why may I ask?

well the tpn is 3 pole and the way it wired with the neutral it like on a single pole gets isolated were as it should be a double pole isolation.

just trying to rule out if this could be anything to do with the sparks.

If you want to Achieve double pole isolation why don't you use one of the poles for the neutral?

yeah i suppose so.

however back to the original question. the fact the neutral is continues and not part of the isolator should not make a blind bit of difference and therefore shouldnt have anything to do with this reported sparking should it?

no during the day after it had been on for about 2 hours.

Im thinking the client is possibly over reacting with the sparking and think it was more like a spark as she said it has happened a couple of times over past couple weeks. just one slight spark that caught the corner of their eye

probably a slight arc on the thermostat contacts as it switches in and out.

this is what im thinking it just the element doing a slight spark.

Is this deemed reasonably safe if it just this

pain in the %$&* thow when you got to drive 40 miles to attend site

any rate, the heater should not be sparking unless it's qualified. has it got 2365, NVQ, etc.?

Reply to heater electrical sparking? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net