Discuss Heating a small church need some ideas please.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening Chaps...

One of my customer is a small 1800's church, which is pretty cold.

Been asked if I can offer a solution to their heating.

Details:

- no other services coming in, just electric
- 100amp incoming supply (max demand very minimal at present : 9 x lights, 4 x 13amp socket, 1 x door curtain heater)
- Area to heat 5000(w)x13000(l)x6000 (height to centre of vaulted ceiling)
- no insulation anywhere (brick walls/ timber roof slated above)

It is only used a few times a week for about an hour at time, so they are not really wanting to heat the whole building just enough heat to keep them going for that short period of time.

Any ideas please of the best solution, commercial heating is a bit of a new for me. Will be trying a couple of wholesalers I use to see what they suggest.

They don't really want to go down the storage heater route.

I was thinking along the lines of maybe 4 of these (CFS30), put on a programmer to come on half hour before they arrive:

Commercial Fan Heaters from Dimplex, official site

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers

Sy

Evening Sy
I would say the heaters you've posted are spot on really. Not gonna be used for long periods of time, and a programmer is a great idea.

The radiant type heaters similar to patio heaters with the lamp elements are good for churches, obviously they need to be attractive wall mounted types,not the stand up large ugly types haha, I have installed several 3kw type heaters via a contactor and time clock in a church not too long ago and they are very happy with the finished scheme, suprising how they warm the place as well, that church has one wall in it which is from the 13th century as well.

The radiant type heaters similar to patio heaters with the lamp elements are good for churches, obviously they need to be attractive wall mounted types,not the stand up large ugly types haha, I have installed several 3kw type heaters via a contactor and time clock in a church not too long ago and they are very happy with the finished scheme, suprising how they warm the place as well, that church has one wall in it which is from the 13th century as well.

That's what I was thinking some kind of infrared heater.

I did mention about radiants (have also fitted these before on patios which work great), but they didnt seem to keen.... "just heats the spot your in."

They are after an all round sort of heat, that hits you as soon as you open the door... if you know what I mean.

But saying that I suppose if you have enough radiants and positioned correctly then could be suitable.

I just want offer something that I know is going to be 100% satisfactory for them.

Thanks for all your replies so far,

Cheers

Sy

Mike,

What sort of size was the church ?

- - - Updated - - -

Great link that thank you - like the chandelier heating, nice

good question, I will have to try to work that out TBH, hard to just say a size, bear with me.

Things were much simpler in the old days, but I suppose burning catholics isn't very environmentally friendly.

I’m pagan. You want a fire?

In a previous job (non electrical) I spent a lot of time in churches. IR heaters are absolutely useless for heating as far as the congregation is concerned. Sit through a 3Hr mass with you’re feet dropping off while you’re head is boiling ain’t fun!

under floor heating won't work in an old church for obvious reasons, a ridiculous suggestion, unless the parish church are prepared to install a modern floor on an old 200-500 year old concrete slab floor it just won't happen, and anycase listed building control would fight to the death in most cases to stop a floor going in, we are talking about a church 200 years old here not a modern bathroom :earmuffs:

I would have thought suggesting underfloor heating in a church would be a good thing. It'd focus the congregation on their devotion when the old giffer up front started banging on about eternal hellfire someone could whack up the stat.

Interactive sermons :)

I fitted some ceramic radiant heaters into an old church room a while back, they don't glow red like the quartz ones, which some poeple don't like. I got them from heatstore, if you go to there website there is a calculator to help you design the best heating for the room. I found you need so many convector heaters for effective heating that radiants were the only real option. But they are hard to control and onlybheat what they hit. Your going to have to settle for a best worst case I think. Best of luck.

I fitted some ceramic radiant heaters into an old church room a while back, they don't glow red like the quartz ones, which some poeple don't like. I got them from heatstore, if you go to there website there is a calculator to help you design the best heating for the room. I found you need so many convector heaters for effective heating that radiants were the only real option. But they are hard to control and onlybheat what they hit. Your going to have to settle for a best worst case I think. Best of luck.

Is this them....?

3.0kW Ceramic Heater

Reply to Heating a small church need some ideas please.... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock