Discuss Heating blanket controller in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Diyer123

DIY
Reaction score
I'm not an electrician- I don't know the right terminology- I'll try to be clear... I cut off the broken controller from my electric heating blanket. I connected one lead of the blanket to house mains. I connected the other from the blanket to one lead of a five bulb parallel incandescent lighting fixture. I connected the other lead of the fixture to one lead of a basic plug in dimmer switch. I connected the other lead of the dimmer switch to house mains. The blanket doesn't get as hot as I'd like it and it's sluggish to warm up, but it works well and will last longer than the originals which are made to break in a couple years. Is there a simpler way to use a dimmer switch to control an electric heating blanket?

not being a wuss, i've never used an electric blanket. 'er indoors is enough to keep me warm.

Attempting to replace a 240V power controller on a safety-critical item such as an electric underblanket without knowing how the original controller was built is not something I would recommend. Before I retired I was a stats person for the second-largest fire service in Britain. Although it is relatively rare, faults in electric underblankets have on occasions been responsible for lethal fires, normally through mistreatment of the electric underblanket (use when damaged for instance). There is no way of knowing what will happen should your home-made controller fail in use, so please don't end up as a fire statistic by trying to save a little money - replace the underblanket with a new one instead.

-Stewart

Reply to Heating blanket controller in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi I'm in need of some advice. First of all i'm not an electrician but do have an understanding of electrics as i come from an electronics...
Replies
Views
I bought this house a couple months ago. It was built in 1952 (same as me) but has been rewired with yellow 12 awg Romex dated 2007. Looks like a...
Replies
Views
I'm in the middle of preparing a quote for installing 12 x 3Kw and 4 x 2Kw halogen heaters in a church. The system design was provided by a...
Replies
Views
I was at a customers house changing a socket and they asked me a question about their lights. Some of the lights in the house suddenly get...
Replies
Views
I have a Firebird oil boiler that is controlled by a Honeywell timer (no thermostat) that has channels for hot water and central heating...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock