Discuss Heating system with only one two port valve. Is this dangerous ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

egginyourface

Came across a heating system which had only 1x 2 port valve which was used only for the heating. There was another valve which had been disconnected from the mains but set in open position. I assume this was for the hot water.

Then From the junction box there's one three core going up to 2 x cylinders in the loft. Am i correct in thinking this is dangerous?

Shouldnt there be a valve to control hot water to cylinders

You need a G3 qualified plumber to work on these, as you say, I am 90% sure this unvented cylinder needs a 2 port zone valve as part of its safety mechanism.

In the past it was common to have no valves.
The Hot water temp relied on the boiler setting and the heating was controlled by pump on or off.

However if it's an unvented, which Megaflows are, it MUST have a normally closed 2 port valve on the boiler flow to the cylinder controlled by a safety over-temp stat on the cylinder.

It needs someone with G.3 to sort it out.
Plumbers aren't the only one's with G.3

Your right. It's a in unvented cylinder. Had a look at it today. I'm not involved with the system myself but out of curiosity opened the junction box and noticed the hot water 2 port valve has been disconnected. Theres a 3 core whicj leaves the jb and goes upto cylinder in the loft. I asked the plumber why he hasn't re instated it and he said it works fine with out it.

Now I'm interested in learning how these systems work and have feeling this is unsafe.

I personally (as a spark!) think it is unsafe and contravenes G3.

The 2 port valve is often supplied by the manufacturer of the cylinder, they wouldn't hand you a £50 zone valve for nowt ;-)

Its definitely needed how can you shut heat off to cylinder if central heating is turned on the water in the tank will boil without the valve to shut it off

Yes this this valve is very important, it is the first line of defence in order to stop the stored water from going above 100c in the first place, the cylinder stat controls this valve (60/65c if that fails the overheat stat will operate at around 85/90c if it tries to go above that, the temperature & pressure relief valve will begin to open to let in more cold water to keep the temperature below 100c there is also a cold water expansion valve usually on the combivalve that comes with the unvented cylinder to provide additional safety This 2 port valve is still required even if there is a mid position valve in place.

Yes i remember seeing it on a yplan heating system. I was confused when I saw a three port valve followed by a 2port valve until some one explained it was for safety.

Do all unvented cylinders require the additional cylinder cut out stat?

Ive seen what cylinder does when it blows, not a pretymsite

Reply to Heating system with only one two port valve. Is this dangerous ... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net