Discuss Heating System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

steve4545456

Hi there, I,ve just joined this site in the hope I can get some help with a job that I,m doing. Its a standard fully pumped heating system, three zones (one for hot water, one downstairs heating and one upstairs heating) All controlled by a three channel timeclock. The hot water is controlled by a tank stat, the downstairs heating is controlled by a room stat and the upstairs heating works off the clock alone. There is a two port valve for each zone. My problem is that the plumber has installed an additional pump, due to the size of the house. So no matter whether the hot water or the central heating calls for heat, both pumps are running. He reckons with the way he has it plumbed, the other pump will be pumping against nothing and could eventually burn itself out ,if its constantly running. So I need a way of one pump knocking off whilst the other is running and vice versa. Obviously if it were only the one pump it would be happy days but this is new to me and any advice would be much appreciated. cheers.
steve.

Hi the upstairs heating circuit shold also have a thermosat fitted to comply with part L, would like to know how the plumber has installed the new pump. i think that the pump should just be installed in parrell with the old to increase the pumping force so the wiring should also be in parrell with the old pump and come on either with the boiler or when the boiler calls for the pumps to run.

Heating System {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Take a look at this example of 'S' plan wiring from Honeywell.

I take it that the zone valves have the feedback contact.

Did the plumber wire it in?

Can you state the position of the pumps with the system circuit?

Are the pumps wired from the boiler or the timeclock or elsewhere?

Is the additional pump just for the upstairs circuit or just added to the current pump?

Did the plumber state the situation where the pump could be pumping against a dead-end ie. if the rads are on TRVs (thermostatic valves) and become satisfied so close???

Regards

s.f

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, thanks for your reply. You say relays can be used for this situation. All my connections are done via a wiring centre local to valves and pumps. Can you instruct me what way to incorporate the relays.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for my ESP to kick in!

Give us a clue, eh?

We need to understand your control situation. You need to understand your control situation. This may be able to be done without relays if we only knew your current set-up.

For starters...where in the system is your additional pump located and in what scenario could it pump against a dead end?

Why do you want one pump to run when the other one isn't?

Surely each pump should run exactly when required, and stop when neccessary.

Hopefully Gypsy Rose Lee has finished with my equipment! ;)

Come on, Steve...help us to help you. :)

Regards
s.f

He reckons with the way he has it plumbed, the other pump will be pumping against nothing and could eventually burn itself out ,if its constantly running. steve.

Tell him to do properly then, by his own admission he's done it wrong why should you pick up the pieces. As has been stated already both pumps should work together if it's to provide more pressure into this system.

Ok I,ll start again, Both pumps are situated in the boiler house. There is a two port spring return valve on each of the zone 1 (d/s heating) zone 2 (u/s heating) and hot water circuits. All my wiring goes back to this boiler house and terminataions are made through a standard wiring centre. Pump 1 is plumbed in before the valves for zone 1 and hot water (it pumps for them) and pump 2 is plumbed in before the valve for zone 2 and which solely is for the upstairs heating. Btw this is a four story house with a basement coversion from a cafe into living quarters so theres a lot of extra rads downstairs. So at my timeclock, if I call for zone 1 or hot water the respective valve opens and the burner and pump (s) start running. But my problem is that due to the switch wire connection at the wiring centre being the same for each pump along with the burner, pump two will also come on (with u/s heating valve closed) effectivly pumping against a closed valve. The same goes for if I have just the u/s heating on the two valves for d/s heating and hot water are closed and the pumps pumping against them. So my problem is separating the two switch wires to the pumps so that either or will come on with the burner. I,m sure theres an easy answer to this problem. At the mo Im have all three valves manually open and no matter whats switched on at the clock, the whole house is cooking.
regards steve

Me thinks you have answered your own question. You need a seperate switch wire for each pump so that it only pumps when the respective zone is called. Why pump hot water round the upstairs heating if you only want the downstairs on?

Ok I,ll start again, Both pumps are situated in the boiler house. There is a two port spring return valve on each of the zone 1 (d/s heating) zone 2 (u/s heating) and hot water circuits. All my wiring goes back to this boiler house and terminataions are made through a standard wiring centre. Pump 1 is plumbed in before the valves for zone 1 and hot water (it pumps for them) and pump 2 is plumbed in before the valve for zone 2 and which solely is for the upstairs heating. Btw this is a four story house with a basement coversion from a cafe into living quarters so theres a lot of extra rads downstairs. So at my timeclock, if I call for zone 1 or hot water the respective valve opens and the burner and pump (s) start running. But my problem is that due to the switch wire connection at the wiring centre being the same for each pump along with the burner, pump two will also come on (with u/s heating valve closed) effectivly pumping against a closed valve. The same goes for if I have just the u/s heating on the two valves for d/s heating and hot water are closed and the pumps pumping against them. So my problem is separating the two switch wires to the pumps so that either or will come on with the burner. I,m sure theres an easy answer to this problem. At the mo Im have all three valves manually open and no matter whats switched on at the clock, the whole house is cooking.
regards steve

So what controls the temperature upstairs? Is there a room stat upstairs or are all the rads on TRVs?

Does the u/s heating have it's own channel on the time clock?

Try this ragged attempt using two relays in parallel with relevant MVs so each pump is switched in when their MV opens.

Heating System {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Regards
s.f

Cheers to everyone who responded to my post, I got it sorted; the relays worked a treat silva.foxx. Live and learn, I,ll know for the next time!!

The second pump may be a bronze pump whiuch is used to help push the hot water around,a set up used in large hotels ect.Just needs connecting with the call of the cylinder stat then it would only run if there is a demand for hot water.

Reply to Heating System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock