Discuss Heavy Duty Camping and truck wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
So I am stateside and I have a truck and camping trailer that I am trying to wire-up. I am going to have roughly ~1200 watts of lights running on the trailer alone, with another ~1500 watts on the truck.
The truck is running dual batteries and a 140amp alternator.
I have a 4 gauge wire connection running to an AUX port that I would like to supply power to the trailer as well.
I have roughly made the following schematic. Am I on the right track for the truck wiring to be able to supply power to all of the trailer when dry docked and then when plugged into 110v power source power everything and even charge the truck batteries?
Or what would/should I need to be able to power both the truck and trailer lights while dry docked and plugged into 110v? (~3k watts of power!)
Thank you for the help!!!!

Trailer Wiring.jpg

225A from a truck battery (12V). no bloody chance.

Not being funny but don't you think that 2,700 watts is a bit OTT?
Are you trying to attract UFO's or something.
Go with @telectrix post above (#4) and look at lights with a reduced load.

Not being funny but don't you think that 2,700 watts is a bit OTT?
Are you trying to attract UFO's or something.
Go with @telectrix post above (#4) and look at lights with a reduced load.

lol, they are all LED's. The truck is running the following

4, 50" 300w Bar
6, 3" 18w Pods
2, 6" 30w Pods
1, 15" 75w Bar
Total = 1,443w in just lights. Still, have radios, stereo, and standard truck electronics.

And the trailer is pretty close to the same minus the standard truck electronics.
Is it overkill?...YEP. But isn't that the fun of it??
Who wants to help me come up with a plan for powering these monsters while out camping? I'm starting to think the dual alternators might be better, than an AC-DC converter as I can just run the truck whenever and wherever I am for power. Thoughts?

And no... not trying to attract UFO's...Bigfoot. Yes, the crazy American is a Bigfoot researcher.

PowerDiagram1.jpg

Hi bud,you are in the realms of engine powered generation there,which will require rpm control,etc,dependant on vehicle.

If it is for show,get a dedicated variable frequency auto-start geny,and have that powering the funfair,and leave the vehicle electrics to do map lights and an 8-track;)

Hi bud,you are in the realms of engine powered generation there,which will require rpm control,etc,dependant on vehicle.

If it is for show,get a dedicated variable frequency auto-start geny,and have that powering the funfair,and leave the vehicle electrics to do map lights and an 8-track;)

Ok... and what is that?? lol

Nope,they are a little more than that:)

They are high quality units,which are favoured by the camping/boating lads. They can be automatic in operation,and gauge their output by varying rpm,that is,at low outputs,they run slow and quiet. In this regard,they auto-range,and can keep up with the alternating power requirements of a campervan.

They sit in under-slung stainless steel carriers,in the chassis,and most here are in the 4 - 8kW range.

Not cheap,but would reliably impress everybody in the outback :cool:

Nope,they are a little more than that:)

They are high quality units,which are favoured by the camping/boating lads. They can be automatic in operation,and gauge their output by varying rpm,that is,at low outputs,they run slow and quiet. In this regard,they auto-range,and can keep up with the alternating power requirements of a campervan.

They sit in under-slung stainless steel carriers,in the chassis,and most here are in the 4 - 8kW range.

Not cheap,but would reliably impress everybody in the outback :cool:
Oh, wow! Cool. Do you have a link for where I could find/buy one in the states? Also any info on how they are wired in?

There are many versions,but the ones i have fitted and fiddled with are Dometic. The TEC 40D and TEC 29's are the most popular models.
They are considerably more expensive than a similar output of standard genny,but are far and away superior.

The correct terminology for the type is variable speed constant frequency synchronous generators,but the mobile/camper lads call them allsorts,but usually get the words variable and frequency mixed in:rolleyes:.

There are different control systems available,and can be configured to start automatically,when sensing a required load,or sensing low voltage,on a set of living batteries,which they then track the power requirement of the intelligent charger,and keep up accordingly.

I have one customer,who had his wagon 5 years,and genuinely did not know where or what the genny was,being hidden up in the chassis,and just heard it now and again...it was a TEC29,and was very grateful for it's way overdue overhaul:)

Whoa, y
There are many versions,but the ones i have fitted and fiddled with are Dometic. The TEC 40D and TEC 29's are the most popular models.
They are considerably more expensive than a similar output of standard genny,but are far and away superior.

The correct terminology for the type is variable speed constant frequency synchronous generators,but the mobile/camper lads call them allsorts,but usually get the words variable and frequency mixed in:rolleyes:.

There are different control systems available,and can be configured to start automatically,when sensing a required load,or sensing low voltage,on a set of living batteries,which they then track the power requirement of the intelligent charger,and keep up accordingly.

I have one customer,who had his wagon 5 years,and genuinely did not know where or what the genny was,being hidden up in the chassis,and just heard it now and again...it was a TEC29,and was very grateful for it's way overdue overhaul:)

Whoa, you weren't kidding about the price though. Eh. That's a bit higher than i would go right now. I was hoping to be around like $600USD. lol

Whoa, y

Whoa, you weren't kidding about the price though. Eh. That's a bit higher than i would go right now. I was hoping to be around like $600USD. lol

Reply to Heavy Duty Camping and truck wiring in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net