Discuss Heavy duty DIY next door possible cause of oven tripping circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

CatCarter

DIY
Reaction score
Hello, new here!

Would greatly appreciate some input. I'll first say I intend to get an Indesit technician to take a proper look tomorrow, but I'm curious.

A couple of hours ago I tried to switch the main oven on as usual - the oven is only 2-3 yrs old - and a spark came from behind the cooker, where the mains goes into the wall, tripping the circuit breaker. The oven is isolated on the panel and nothing else in the kitchen has been affected. I haven't tried simply flicking the circuit back on and using the oven again because of my girlfriend's nervous disposition about house fires as she's had family tragedy caused by fault appliances in her past.

To my question then. My neighbour has gutted and been renovating the room on the other side of where our cooker is. Installing new electrics, lots of heavy duty drilling nearby where the wiring for our cooker runs. I'm wondering if this can contribute to a surge? Can electric charge build up as a result of heavy duty drilling nearby or, vibrations cause damage to the wiring? Am I completely off base? Aside from replacing the oven bulb a few days ago like for like, since which the oven has been used on 3 occasions, nothing else has changed and with it being fairly new I'm inclined to think it's not a component in the oven itself.

Thanks for reading. Interested to read your replies.

To my question then. My neighbour has gutted and been renovating the room on the other side of where our cooker is, lots of heavy duty drilling nearby where the wiring for our cooker runs.
Have not come across this before, but it is possible that the guys working on the other side of the wall have gone a little too deep when either drilling or chasing and damaged your cable in the process

Have not come across this before, but it is possible that the guys working on the other side of the wall have gone a little too deep when either drilling or chasing and damaged your cable in the process
Thanks for the swift response.

I try not to put things down to coincidence because they make me uncomfortable 😄, so my mind cannot help but look for cause-effect and given everything else remains the same my neighbour's renovation is making me suspicious. He's a veteran tradesman of 40 years though, has his own construction business and works with a couple of trusted long-term partners so I'd be surprised if they made such a mistake. Guess I'll find out more tomorrow!

Sounds like there’s been a loose connection in the wall point, that’s now caused a spark.
There may be damage to the cable there which will need repaired.

The Indesit technician may take one look and tell you to get an electrician in…. They won’t touch the house part of the wiring… just the oven internals.

Reply to Heavy duty DIY next door possible cause of oven tripping circuit? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net