Discuss Height of electric meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Now I know this is generally not our problem, but my grandma has a token meter and the location of it is causing great problems for her. It is in her pantry cupboard, right at the top and to the side. She is in her late eighties and has recently broken her hip. She physically cannot reach the meter to insert her token safely. So, I contacted the supplier who said it would be £400+ to move it. Does this sound right to you? They insisted that she went onto the token meter, surely they have a duty of care to make sure she can actually use the thing? It's awkward and dark, she would have to stand on something to reach it. We as sparks obviously have to consider these things when installing accessories, does the same not apply to meters?

Totally agree with you, maybe the local authority or a care organisation could help approach the dno on your grandma's behalf as they might be more willing to listen to health professionals etc. Good Luck.

They are a rule to themselves i would contact someone higher up the chain and discus if that dosn't work use the media and take advantage of trying to embarrass you energy supplier ... they never like bad press and will do there best to avoid it, tell them of your plans and that it ridiculas to expect a 80+ yr old to use this meter ...... ensure gran is ok with this as it can be a little bit stressful if it goes public so be careful as not all 80yr olds may be up for the attention.

surely the numpties should have fitted it in an accessible position. i'd push them for a free move. if they won't play ball, watchdog or other programme might shame them.

I kinda agree with Tel on this. deffo push for a free move. If they don't play ball, I would only Suggest watchdog or the likes and see what they do.

orrr.... tell them you are moving it yourself (purely on health and safety grounds) and can they come and fit new seals

Thanks chaps. Will give them another call tomorrow and apply a bit of pressure. Just seems like big companies these days have forgotten how to do the right thing. They are more concerned with squeezing arrears out of my grandma. She can't reach the meter? That'll be another £400 please...... grrrr.

- - - Updated - - -

orrr.... tell them you are moving it yourself (purely on health and safety grounds) and can they come and fit new seals

I had considered that......maybe as a last resort :)

Reply to Height of electric meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net