Discuss Height of light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DanBrown

Hi Guys,

Just a quick question regarding the height of a normal light switch. What is the regulation regarding the min and max height of the switch. I have noticed in new build's they seem to be quite low. Is this for disabled people?,
What is the min and max height
Thanks in advance

Hi Dan,

Building regs state no more than 1.2m off ground. For sockets, no less than 450mm off ground.

It is indeed for people with limited mobility. However, unless the house is specifically designed for a person with limited mobility then the above doesn't apply to the kitchen and garage.

For re-wires the height regs don't apply but for a complete refurb of a property the regs are apparently supposed to apply.

Yup, exactly as DadofTwo said with max of 1200mm being to top of switch too;)

height regulations, only apply to new builds. If your wiring up an old/exsisting building or rewiring, you don't have to take these height regs into account, only if its a new building. I do think the building inspector would recommend you working to the 1200mm n 45mm heights. It'll certainly give you and the building inspector a better relationship, showing you do look at the building regs ;)

Things have changed a lot since i was working on building sites in the late 70's. Then you measured the center mark of your switch with a broken off piece of plaster board and the height was just below your shoulder at the top of your bicep. :D

Really going to have to get my thinking cap on for my 2381 exam.

One other thing, the regs re height of sockets and switches don't apply to kitchens and garages unless a house is being specially built or developed for a disabled person. Was a bit thrown when I found that out because what's the point in making one part of the house "disabled friendly" and the other not?

Me personally, I hate the low light switches because kids can reach them at a younger age and mess about with the lights. I know the same could be said about any socket but they're usually hidden. I understand hy the regs were introduced though.

Hi Dan,

Building regs state no more than 1.2m off ground. For sockets, no less than 450mm off ground.

It is indeed for people with limited mobility. However, unless the house is specifically designed for a person with limited mobility then the above doesn't apply to the kitchen and garage.

For re-wires the height regs don't apply but for a complete refurb of a property the regs are apparently supposed to apply.

Interesting, just wondered where the bit about not applying to the kitchen and garage came from? if its from the Approved Document to Part of the Building Regs, then maybe you have a different copy to me! Be really interested to know.

And no, it doesnt apply to a complete refurb - it is quite acceptable as long as switches and sockets are 'no less accessible than they were previously', so a CU in a refurb wouldnt have to be at 1200, but it would be against the building regs to take it off the wall and remount it in a cupboard under the stairs!

Interesting, just wondered where the bit about not applying to the kitchen and garage came from? if its from the Approved Document to Part of the Building Regs, then maybe you have a different copy to me! Be really interested to know.
Had a meeting with the local BCO re a house I was working on and he told me. Don't have anything in writing but BCO was happy with the work and much of the kitchen electrics were out of the normal regs in terms of height.

from Electrician's Guide to Building Regs, section 10.7: "Unless the dwelling is for persons whose reach is limited the requirements would not apply to kitchens and garages but specifically only to rooms that visitors would normally use."

Grae,

and therin lies the problem

there are a lot of books and info out there, but I am QUITE familiar to the Approved Document to Part P, and that clearly isnt in there. The point being, you could follow the installers guide to the building regs, NOT put switches at correct heoght in kitchen and garage and then find it fails its LABC inspection

These books are good guides, but are not authoritive

i tought they were guidelines and not mandatory.

when we rewire we always use old tubes and cappings and pull our cables down them to original heights.

While switches are 1200mm from FFL and sockets not less than 450mm for people who may be disabled. how are people in wheel chairs supposed to access sockets above kitchen units if house was purpose built for them?

Is that the next PC thing to be brought in to lower worktops for short people but I'm 6' 5" and work top tops are only just right for me now. So I'm being discriminated against I beleive.

Just bumping some threads in the Electrical Wiring Theories and Regulations forum category here on our Electricians Forums. If this specific topic isn't current, just ignore it, it'll drop off the list in no time. However, if it's something you'd like to contribute to, feel free to reply and bring it back into current discussion.

Reply to Height of light switch in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock