Discuss Height of sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sparky1966

Hi again,

I know that the regs say that sockets need to be a minimum of 450mm from the floor, but if you are adding a socket to an exsisting room does it still have to be that minimum height as it would obviously look out of place with the others.

Can anyone help please.

I would install it same height as the others otherwise its gonna look odd. 450mm is just a recommendation.

Hi Hawk81

So if the aditional sockets are in a room which has been extended from the original room is that still correct. Or is the new part of the room counted as a new build?

Hi Hawk81

So if the aditional sockets are in a room which has been extended from the original room is that still correct. Or is the new part of the room counted as a new build?

As it's forming part of the original installation, keep them at the same height as the existing sockets.

keep them at the same height as the existing sockets as long as they are not on skirting boards.

Does anyone have the reg number from the BS 7671-2008 giving us the minimum heights of 400mm for sockets or that they can't be fitted to a skirting board ..................just be nice to quote it if ever needed.

It's not in BS7671, it's a building reg for new build properties. There's a bit in the onsite guide on the subject if that's any use.

It's in Part M of the building regs (accessibility). It's advice/guidance on one way to satisfy the accessibility requirement.

Put them at the height of the existing ones. Common sense needed here. When wiring an extension I always put accessories at same height as the rest of the house.

it is not about BS, it is about visual sense. you dont need to be prof. to know that it will look ugly if you put them at different heights. unless ofcourse if it is better financially for you to uninstall all previous sockets and install the new ones, then you can blame the bs and say hey the code says it should be 400mm who am i to judge the code.

Did a new build recently and the customer wanted the sockets low. All I did was make provision for them to be easily shifted should the need arise and noted accordingly on the cert...........

Hight Levels are crap and people know it....! yeah ok mrs jones cant reach her CU to reset the RCD from her wheelchair but Mr Smiths can easily poke there fingers into his CU...

Reg. No. 553.1.6 "A socket-outlet on a wall or similar structure shall be mounted at a height above the floor or any working surface to minimize the risk of mechanical damage to the socket-outlet or to an associated plug and it's flexible cord which might be caused during insertion, use or withdrawal of the plug."

What I have been led to believe,when trying to comply with the building regs

Existing installations, where there are additions or even rewiring, where major renovation work has not been carried out
Switch + socket heights can match the original, as long as the contravention of the building reg is not made worse
The switches cannot go higher and the sockets cannot go lower than original heights

What I have been led to believe,when trying to comply with the building regs

Existing installations, where there are additions or even rewiring, where major renovation work has not been carried out
Switch + socket heights can match the original, as long as the contravention of the building reg is not made worse
The switches cannot go higher and the sockets cannot go lower than original heights

This was pretty much understanding too, the deviation from the "new" heights being allowed because of the existing sockets.

That said I thought you either had to put them at the same height or at the new height, not somewhere in between ;-)

I wish I could find the photograph I took of a relatives house. They had an electrician in a while ago to add two sockets in the lounge - the electrician insisted the new heights were law and they couldn't have them at the same height as the existing sockets - made for a very odd looking wall!

Reply to Height of sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock