Discuss heights of sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
morning all,

am about to wire a 2 bed extension with a hall way, very small, both very tight single rooms. the customer also wants the rest of the bungalow rewired, again very very small. am i required to install all thye sockets and switches and the new heights or as only an extension and existing dwelling could i get away with just following the existing height through?

thanks

Hi gaz,

Really any new install or addition should be done to the 17th edition but this would mean your new skts would look different to the old ones, height wise. If the customer states they want the new skts same height as the old ones then make a note on your cert and ask them to sign it.

Hope this helps

Jay

Good answer. Hd the same on a job where old sockets were just above skirting and wired from below through cellar. Customer wanted to know why he should have his wallpaper ruined to chase up to 18" ( never could get used to these foreign centipedes ) just to appease the gravy train commonly known as IEE or suits from the planet Mars.

The new heights for sockets and switches only applies to new builds.
Extensions and refurbs don't have to be at the new heights, so just keep to the same as the original dwelling if thats whats wanted.

accepted heights for people with limited reach (applicaple to new build only) is 450-1200mm

next one i do everything will be placed at 1200 sockets and all - just for the fun of it

Last edited by a moderator:
If the installation is for the client direct then their preference can be followed.
I rewired a house which was purchased to let, and the building inspector and I discussed the heights and both amicably agreed to meet the building regulations requirements. This was because we were not aware of the future occupants and any possible needs they may have.

If the existing hights contravene the building regs and you wire the new extension and the existing house

All you need make sure is that,you dont make the contravention worse, by mounting sockets lower than and switches higher than they are at the mo

Reply to heights of sockets in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock