Discuss Heights of wall lights on a staircase in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
I’ll see if I can describe this without making a diagram.

Tomorrows job is wiring and fitting wall lights at my mother in laws, up the staircase.
There’s a U shaped stair, with a half landing. So 5 or 6 steps up, turn around, another 5 or 6 up. Top landing is an L shape around the open stair…
So basically a square room.

Top landing 2 lights on adjacent walls at a regular height off the floor.
The light at the half landing… the same distance off the floor as the top 2, but obviously in relation to the height of the half landing.

Final light on the 4th wall will be above a stair case.
Does it go the same height as the top landing, or that same distance off the floor in relation to whichever step is below it?

Or do I make all 4 lights the same height, whatever the floor level is. Ie, measure off the flat, level ceiling

This is your Mother in law's house. For the sake of all concerned, explain your thinking and let her make the final decision.

Obvious answer is all at same height form floor, but this may look odd where one ceiling is lower - let her decide.

Also worth explaining that next time some furniture goes up or down those stairs (you'll wisely be sick on those days), the lights stand a significant chance of being unintentionally removed. If all goes to plan, she'll decide that wall lights are a very bad idea and everything should remain as it is - crucially, you must let her decide.

This is your Mother in law's house. For the sake of all concerned, explain your thinking and let her make the final decision.
THIS! I would give any customer advice, point out particular pitfalls, and explain that stair lights should contrast riser and step, but the final decision, as long as it complies with regulations, is entirely the customers, regardless of how wrong I think they may be.
Especially if the customer is the mother in law!

No4 Same height off the step as off the half landing and off the the Top landing.
If you don't, the spread of light over the stairs below will look different to below the other lights.

HOWEVER, as above N-b-Dim, make sure it's not you that make the final decision.

Hmmm... normally i would agree with you, but this is the wife's idea to get this job done as a surprise while my mother in law is away for the weekend...(after receiving some not good medical news)
She's already bought the fittings, so god knows what im going to be faced with. Its one of those jobs that i thought i could leave for a while and do it when i was quiet.... but not now.

I see what you mean about causing obstructions for moving furniture etc, but anything would be better than the single pendant they have now in the middle of the room, which is directly above the lower stair. Reaching over the banister to change a lightbulb is tricky, even for me.

Wife's idea to do the job, therefore wife positions the lights. Whatever you do, don't make it your decision.
We have an agreement... I dont involve her in my job, she doesnt ask me to cook. Its worked like that for 25 years.

That should be, she doesnt ALLOW me to cook.....

I usually only fit wall lights in rooms... so its straight forward what height they go.

Actually, if they don't look right, its not a huge problem to move them later. The one over the staircase has an easy accessible attic void behind for routing cables to any height.

We have an agreement... I dont involve her in my job, she doesnt ask me to cook. Its worked like that for 25 years.

That should be, she doesnt ALLOW me to cook.
I'm not surprised, we dont want your lower part of your body in the oven.and head in pot do we ,is not burns night when all of scotland
sat by the fire eating porridge .cause the other half has forgot the nips .

The most effective way to light steps is with wash lighting from wall mounted lights mounted high enough to not have shadows on the stairs. This avoids having treads that are in the person's shadow when going up or going down the stairs. This approach requires fewer lights as one light can provide wash light for 4-5 steps/stairs.

Overhead lights or lights mounted in the risers are the worst at providing illumination. You can verify this in advance with a helper holdiner a flashlight at various locations.

So I put the two at the top at 6’ off the floor….. the one on the half landing at 6’, and the one on the stair slightly higher. It looks too low just measuring off the step, and trying to keep it level with the two at the top, it was too high.

DB5A34BB-06C8-40D5-91A8-CF0E22CCA705.jpeg

I sent the wife the photo, and she said it was too high.
Considering it’s a hallway, I didn’t want people walking into them. I told her it was a standard height for that reason.

If they do think they’re too high, I can always turn them upside down on the bracket, so the ball is hanging lower.

They’re going to have to rearrange the picture frames… the half landing wall is choka

Reply to Heights of wall lights on a staircase in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net