Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Hello and ad IP question in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Balgy

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hello all

New to this forum, and newly accredited to NICEIC although I've been an electrical engineer for 25 years.

I'm designing a new house and currently looking at the bathroom. I'm going to install an elecrically heated towel rail in zone 2, and while this is allowed if the rating is IPx4 can any one point me to a definition of IP rating for the flex outlet. There are some comments on these threads but they do raise more questions.

rich.250

-
Arms
Hello all

New to this forum, and newly accredited to NICEIC although I've been an electrical engineer for 25 years.

I'm designing a new house and currently looking at the bathroom. I'm going to install an elecrically heated towel rail in zone 2, and while this is allowed if the rating is IPx4 can any one point me to a definition of IP rating for the flex outlet. There are some comments on these threads but they do raise more questions.
Welcome aboard :)

The only way to assertain This would be from manufacturers data,
IMO the best way would be to place the flex outlet outside zone.

B

Balgy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks rich.250

I had noticed that I could place it outside of the zones but the question has been bugging me all day.

B

Balgy

Regs also say towel rails can be in zone1 but that would mean an unsightly flex or one going straight up if the ceiling is higher than 2.25m.

rich.250

-
Arms
It also has to be fit for purpose.
A good idea may be to fit a flex outlet to tidy it up. And simply run the cable through it to another location. No joints or terminations in that box.
So ipx4 not required. As flex is still sheathed. :)

B

Balgy

Like it:smile5: though I'd be cautious of any need to rewire after all the decorations are complete. I'm going to stick it outside the zones as originally suggested.

D

Deleted member 26818

When you refer to a 'flex outlet', are you in fact refering to an FCU with flex outlet?
Flex outlets are just blank plates with a hole to allow flex through.

A standard SFCU will not be IPx4, so make sure it is outside zones. Plenty of IP rated units out there though, if you need one....usually in grey. :)

M

MarkieSparkie

Hi, a belated welcome to the forum.

Reply to Hello and ad IP question in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range

Select the ways in which you gain online business

• MyBuilder.com

• Federation of Master Builders

• CheckaTrade.com

• RatedPeople.com

• TrustaTrader.com

• Which? (TrustedTraders.Which.co.uk)

• MyJobQuote.co.uk

• Yell.com

• Google Paid Advertising

• Own Website with Natural Ranking (SEO'd website)

• Social Media (Facebook Twitter Instagram etc)

• Word of Mouth Only for me

Results are only viewable after voting.
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
Top Bottom