Discuss Hello and after some advice please on temporary lighting circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi, I am just setting up as a general handyman, and I'm planning to get qualified for domestic electrical work in the new year.

My daughter has some problems with her lighting circuit, and the other wiring all needs replacing. I have the skills and experience, having done a few house rewires before the Certification came into effect.

My question is, could I install the lighting circuits and run them off a standard 13amp plug ( 5 amp fuse) until I am suitable qualified to replace her fuse wire consumer unit ?

Any advice much appreciated.

you could do that, but BS1363 plugs are not meant to accommodate T/E cable. if you use 1.0mm though you should be OK.

sorry the the answer is no.my advice is to get a spark in and rewire the lights for you and test it and part p the work it could take a long time for you to get the write quilted ations

think buzz is practising his Klingon speak.

Maybe the OP is planning on taking on one of these 3 week courses, where at the end you are a full qualified, knowledgeable spark.... It is just red-to-red and black-to-black after all....

OP: While post 2 is technically correct, I would look at doing a proper job first.
Of course, the plug may have to have RCD protection on it.
What are you looking to do to get "suitable qualified to replace her fuse wire consumer unit"?

Last edited:
Maybe the OP is planning on taking on one of these 3 week courses, where at the end you are a full qualified, knowledgeable spark.... It is just red-to-red and black-to-black after all....

OP: While post 2 is technically correct, I would look at doing a proper job first.
What are you looking to do to get "suitable qualified to replace her fuse wire consumer unit"?
Look for an Electrician Spoon?

Look for an Electrician Spoon?

Is that the advice i should have put or have i missread you comment mate.
You get shouted at if you just put "Get an elecrician"...

I did edit my original post to add the bit about the RCD plug....

Using a plug top with any twin and earth is not a good idea imho
obviouslyit's not ideal, but OP says it's a temp. fix to get the lights working until he gets a local sparks to do a proper job. at least if he's made a mistake with the wiring, it's protected by the 5A plug fuse.

obviouslyit's not ideal, but OP says it's a temp. fix to get the lights working until he gets a local sparks to do a proper job. at least if he's made a mistake with the wiring, it's protected by the 5A plug fuse.

Think you have misread the OP 's post mate. See below.
What would you class as 'temporary'? 'in the new year'?
Also the OP will be changing the CU..

and I'm planning to get qualified for domestic electrical work in the new year.

My question is, could I install the lighting circuits and run them off a standard 13amp plug ( 5 amp fuse) until I am suitable qualified to replace her fuse wire consumer unit ?

OK, so it's for a few months till he "gets qualified". that may only be a short course, but in the eyes of the scams, that allows him to install, test, certify and notify. the ramifications of these short courses have been done to death already, so......./

write quilted ations are sentshal for progress in trade...
penty pactikal hdns on spear ensh good 2

Buz, my friend, you say more sense in 1 line than many others do in 5 paragraphs!

Thanks for all your comments - I understand the frustration of the 3 week course electrician making problems in the business, however ....

I was employed as a council electrician in the 80's ... I have rewired 3 houses when the electricity board used to come in and do a proper inspection and test - all with no problems. I was a manufacturing manager of a lighting manufacturer, so I do have a bit of experience and form.

They have asked 3 "proper" electricians for a quote - best price was £5500 for 2 lighting circuits, 2 ring mains (not the kitchen) , a 30M armoured feed to the garage ( trench already cut ), and to consolidate 3 seperate consumer units into one box. They would not remove waste or make good anything for that price.

The design of the house is such that there will be a lot of lifting boards, chasing walls etc, but you can't realy blame them for falling back on their semi-retired DIY dad !! I can do the job, and get qualified for just over half the quoted price !

Richard

I assume some part of this "re-wiring" will include the bathroom so it will come under part P Building Regs. Also I think it would be stretching a point to say that you have not created new circuits. That means you will need to "Notify" the work. The law says you are not competent, because you do not have qualifications to prove it (I do not intend to be rude here, just stating a fact). So in short whatever you do you will not be complying with statute Building Regulations. Some registration bodies will allow 3rd party certification. Get one of those electricians to test it and certify it. They will need to provide 30mA RCD protection and an Electrical Installation Certificate. By your description of the Consumer Unit (rewireable fuses) I assume the socket circuit has no existing 30mA RCD protection. Some people believe that by plugging something in you are not part of "the fixed electrical installation". Try telling that to the Judge when someone has come a cropper ! so don't go down that route. In summary, get it evaluated and made safe by a registered electrician who then assumes the liability. From a personal point of view I do not agree with 3rd party certification, anyone who wants to take liability for someone elses work has to be nuts !

Reply to Hello and after some advice please on temporary lighting circuit in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock