Discuss Hello can you help me fix my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

What is meant by a neutral fault can be thought of in this way
The trip switch at your mains is sensitive to the balance of current flow down the live and back via the neutral, if its not balanced some is leaking to earth

A neutral -earth leakage via the fixed wiring or a appliance is high enough that it causes operation of the trip

Usually its an appliance that causes the tripping,in the case of delayed rather than instant tripping the main culprits are usually freezers and fridges
If you run a extension lead from the neighbours and try finding the problem by process of elimination

Paying someone to find a fault and being left with same problem is very annoying,unfortunately people get called electricians when they have no right to such a title
If you do bring in another,be aware he needs to make use of test meters or you are being ripped off once again,its not the sort of problem that can avoid their use

Has this happened since or a little while after the leak you mention? I ask as I suspect that it may be that there is some residual moisture in a socket below the leak that may be causing the trip. You might pull the fuses one at a time and see exactly which circuit it is on that way. And perhaps tell us if it stops tripping and on which circuit it stopped tripping on.

nothing todo with next door's cannabis farm, linked trough attic space.

Shister, call out the Marines. I'd be questioning the supplier who installed that meter!

Has this happened since or a little while after the leak you mention? I ask as I suspect that it may be that there is some residual moisture in a socket below the leak that may be causing the trip.

Have you perused the image OP attached? We best stop here.

most likely a neutral to ground fault/leak
If you know everything connectted to this circuit ?
Then isolate them completely from the circuit one by one
then see how the circuit holds up
most likely one of them is the culprit
If everything is isolated and it still does it ?
Then it's in the wiring.

everything to right of meter to go in bin. Head to be refitted by DNO. then a new CU and full inspection & test. sssimpless.

I cannot see where your main protective Earth comes from. It is not from the supply cable, so I assume it is a TT installation that requires a separate Earth/Ground rod - but no sign of the incoming Earth bond wire. As someone said earlier - if the elcb/RCD is OK, then a 100 mA leakage fault is seriously bad news. You do need to get a qualified electrician in who has the knowledge and required test equipment. If the problem is in bathroom or kitchen and the water pipes are being used as the Earth, then you have a potentialy serious electric shock/electrocution situation, in my opinion.

I cannot see where your main protective Earth comes from. It is not from the supply cable, so I assume it is a TT installation that requires a separate Earth/Ground rod - but no sign of the incoming Earth bond wire. As someone said earlier - if the elcb/RCD is OK, then a 100 mA leakage fault is seriously bad news. You do need to get a qualified electrician in who has the knowledge and required test equipment. If the problem is in bathroom or kitchen and the water pipes are being used as the Earth, then you have a potentialy serious electric shock/electrocution situation, in my opinion.

I think it’s too late, he’s not been on line for quite a while :fearscream::ambulance:

Reply to Hello can you help me fix my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock