Discuss Hello everyone - and my first question is.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SimonB

I am what you might call a mature career changer. At the ripe age of 40 I have jacked in my middle management career and I am re-training as a domestic Sparky!.

My first question is do the following qualifications I have attained below allow me to operate as a sole trader on domestic installations including the inspection testing etc (i.e. the complete works). I realise that I need to join an NIC or Napit self certification scheme or pay local building control lots of money for each job!. Do I need to get anything else qualifications wise?, is 2391 essential (does it prevent me doing certain things?)

* Essential electrics - CITB certified,
* 2381 - 16th edition
* 2377 - PAT Testing
* CSCS site safety
* Appointed persons 1st aid -HSE certified
* EAL certified Domestic installer scheme.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Hi Simon,

Welcome to the site. You'll get an answer soon enough from the guys on here, they're all at work at the moment though (or college)!

Sorry but can't really give you any advice myself as I'm new to the circuit too (no pun intended).

Anyway, good luck, you'll find out all you know soon enough!

Simon,

I recognise those quals, wont mention the name of the training company you have been through.......

Basically yes, you are qualified to install, test and inspect your own work in a domestic premises.

Each LABC has their own rules, and some would REQUIRE you to get someone to do a Periodic Inspection Report (by a 2391 holder) even after you have completed your EIC's etc.

No-one NEEDS 2391, but many organisations will not accept periodics without you holding it (NICEIC and NAPIT included)

It would certainly be the icing on the cake for you now.

Oh, and 'essential electrics-CITB certified', sorry but that is worth about the same as packet of smarties in the installetion world

Sorry!!!

regards

Tony

Thanks guys for the responses,

Tony,

Forgive my ignorance but what does EIC's stand for?. How quickly do we need to get 17th edition wiring regs qualified and what is the best (quickest) way to get 2391?.

As you rightly guessed I got trained quickly on a crash course- Without naming the outfit I hope they are recognised for turning out well trained candidates - if not its bit late now !. And yes, the 'Essential Electrics' qualification is a bit mickey-mouse as I guess they need to cater for people who dont know the first thing about electrics, let alone pick up a screwdriver.

Regards,

Simon.

Hi Ian,

Yes, I have just got the 16th a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks,

I teach 2391 in 5 days at a cost 0f £995, although you MUST be experienced using a meter before the course

Any new installations deisgned after 01 July must comply with 17th edition, so reasonably if you are installing after this date you must know the requirements of the 17th

If you are joining a competent persons scheme such as NICEIC's now you will need 17th.

I teach it as a one day update (2382-20) for £165 plus vat including exam fees

Reply to Hello everyone - and my first question is.. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock