Discuss Hello everyone,another newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CAPS LOCK

Hello and firstly Happy Xmas/new Year to you all.

I'm a 42 year old bloke looking to retrain,or rather go back to what I started doing when I left school,and that's become an electrician.I only did the first year of an apprenticeship in 1983 so things have changed!
I've been working in I.T installations until recently,and have been building an extension to my house which fired the electrical interest once more.

I realise it's a bad economic time to be looking to enter any construction related trade,but i'm an optimist and believe that the trades are still needed and things will pick up.

My main queries are what route should I take?I've seen courses like Trade Skill 4 U etc but realise that I need a 2330 to be a qualified electrican-or is that wrong??I have a local spark who will have me working for him for free in my spare time,which is handy.

Exams and learning have never been difficult for me,so I have a capacity to learn quickly and am confident I could get the bits of paper quickly-but which ones,and in what order???

Sorry for all the questions,and any advice would be appreciated!!

Cheers,Mark.

Hello and firstly Happy Xmas/new Year to you all.

I'm a 42 year old bloke looking to retrain,or rather go back to what I started doing when I left school,and that's become an electrician.I only did the first year of an apprenticeship in 1983 so things have changed!
I've been working in I.T installations until recently,and have been building an extension to my house which fired the electrical interest once more.

I realise it's a bad economic time to be looking to enter any construction related trade,but i'm an optimist and believe that the trades are still needed and things will pick up.

My main queries are what route should I take?I've seen courses like Trade Skill 4 U etc but realise that I need a 2330 to be a qualified electrican-or is that wrong??I have a local spark who will have me working for him for free in my spare time,which is handy.

Exams and learning have never been difficult for me,so I have a capacity to learn quickly and am confident I could get the bits of paper quickly-but which ones,and in what order???

Sorry for all the questions,and any advice would be appreciated!!

Cheers,Mark.

Hi CAPS ON and welcome!

Various routes and training. You may want to check out your local college's to see what courses they offer for training.

The City & Guilds 2330 qualification would probably be a good start, but in terms of career development you can choose your own path.

For example if you were looking to work for yourself in a domestic enviroment, then you would need to gain the qualifications required to become a member of an approved government scheme such as Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa or ECA.

If you were looking to self certify your own work then of course you would need to study the City & Guilds 2391 Inspection and Test course etc.

It would be good for you to be able to work with another electrician during your training and just because the current climate isn't great - there will always be a need for sparks.

Go for it and if you have any other questions just ask the forum!

Warren :)

agree with warrenG matey, i'd say find the path u wana do first. Those courses are expensive to go on for 4 - 6 weeks, but get you the papers. In my eyes, experience is the key, ya cant pay for it, so what I'd do is get as much experience off this guy you know, go on a night course at college, unless you can afford to go full time college? Also I'd suggest having some dollar off this guy, working for free is a little bit daft, when he can probably afford to pay you sumit, just note that on sum building sites labours are getting close to wat sparkys are on, hope that helps, and let us know how u get on...

Hi CAPS ON and welcome!

Various routes and training. You may want to check out your local college's to see what courses they offer for training.

The City & Guilds 2330 qualification would probably be a good start, but in terms of career development you can choose your own path.

For example if you were looking to work for yourself in a domestic enviroment, then you would need to gain the qualifications required to become a member of an approved government scheme such as Napit, NICEIC, Elecsa or ECA.

If you were looking to self certify your own work then of course you would need to study the City & Guilds 2391 Inspection and Test course etc.

It would be good for you to be able to work with another electrician during your training and just because the current climate isn't great - there will always be a need for sparks.

Go for it and if you have any other questions just ask the forum!

Warren :)

I'm enrolling on the C & G 2330 as from September this year,and am interested in domestic type work.
In the meantime,between now and September,are there qualifications I can look to get under my belt to work towards becoming a domestic installer?

Thanks.

Reply to Hello everyone,another newbie in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock