Discuss Hello from Cologne. Annoyed by german electricians who say "you can't!". in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello.

German electricians, in my opinion, are quickly vicious in forums, like many German craftsmen, when you ask questions about their area of expertise.
They apparently feel it is an affront to honor if a layman dares to try to do something they have spent 3.5 years learning to do.
Besides, there is an association called "Verband Deutscher Elektriker" ("VdE"), and electricians often believe that their guidelines are a "law".
Of course, this is not so.
The rules of the VdE are only guidelines.
The only case where it can become legally relevant is if someone does not follow the current guidelines, and because of this a fire or injury etc. occurred. Or an insurance company does not want to pay because something does not comply with the rules valid at the time of installation.

However, it is NOT forbidden by law for private persons to do electrical work on their own installations or for strangers (without taking money!), despite the prohibition in these guidelines.
Only if you take money and do not have a "master" title (license), you can be legally prosecuted.
Nevertheless, electricians like to tell DIY would be forbidden.
On a question platform, there was an electrician from Berlin ("Bürgielektriker"), who was waiting for someone to ask how to connect a stove (3 phases), or someone to answer.
He then threatened the questioner and the answerers with criminal charges.
Of course, this is nonsense, it is not forbidden.
I have answered such questions several times because of this troll ;-) .

Currently I only asked if I may turn 18cm (7") rigid 34mm (1,34") cable (in it 4 conductors) between a wall and the house connection point (sealed box) like a clock hand including the box by 90° downwards without harming the cable. Not a legal question.
You can't get a reasonable answer.
Only slobber-spitting "answers" of the kind "YOU MUST NOT".
Often one is also not ready to call the sources to the statement that would be forbidden.

Welcome to the forum mate.

A bit of a blanket statement about the Germans but that's your opinion.
I'm not sure how many members are German in this forum.. Not that it matters to me as I don't dislike anyone due to where they live... (ok.. unless they are southerners... everyone dislikes southerners.. 😁)

Reply to Hello from Cologne. Annoyed by german electricians who say "you can't!". in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net