Discuss Hello, from the USA in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mdshunk

Just poking around at your little electrician talking spot over here. Looks like you're just getting ramped up. Keep up the good work!

Here's a little picture of a little boo-boo the phone man did the other day. Yes, that's a drill bit sticking out of the service entrance cable:

Hello, from the USA {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

yo mdshunk, welcome to electriciansforums, as you've already noted that the site is new and hopefully will get rolling in with members soon. Looks like a good electrician whos done ya that! hehe

Thanks for joining up

Regards Luke

Nope, not a prank at all. The phone company man was drilling out from inside the basement, and mis-measured where he needed to drill.

I reckon that photo shows a great deal of skill. To be able to hit suck a small target on the other side of a wall can only be described as either incredible or brilliant.

Keep putting your threads on the site it will inspire us all to move across "the pond" and earn a fortune like you:D

Reminds me a bit of when I started working with conduit. Would cut to size but could never figure out why I always roughly 40mm out.

Was never accounting for the end boxes.

hey mdshunk
how long does it take to be fully qualified in the US?
The licensing requirements vary so much from state to state, there's really no way to give a pat answer. In some states, it's as simple as hanging out a shingle and declaring yourself an electrician. In others, it can take as many as 8 years.

cant understand how even a stupid american could do that ,unless its a for a prank video or something

Like none of us ever drill in the wrong place?!?

This week, my mate managed to measure accurately where the drill the hole for the outside light. It was going to go up through the bricks and breeze blocks to end up between the ceiling and floor. Despite calculating it, managed to whack a hole in the lounge wall, and ceiling. More plastering to do tomorrow, and tennant calling my mate a plank :(

Good to have you with us anyway MDS

Let me tell you about one of my drilling mistakes.

I was working in a very old office building that contained the offices of most of my state's legislators in the capital. The building was all masonry, with concrete floors. I had to drill from the floor below (above a suspended ceiling) into a void space above where mechanicals were run. I carefully measured, then drilled up with a 36 inch long bit on a spline drive hammer drill (the floors were nearly 24 inches thick). After the drill burst through the other side, it jammed up. I ran the drill and it came free, but I couldn't pull it back through the hole. It slid back and fourth pretty easily, but I couldn't get the bit to pull back through. I ran the drill a few more times, and pulled and pulled. No help. I went up to the next floor to see if I could spy what the trouble was. I apparently mis-measured, since I had come up inside a cloak closet, and had a ladies long coat wrapped up tight around the drill. The coat was done for.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me tell you about one of my drilling mistakes.

I was working in a very old office building that contained the offices of most of my state's legislators in the capital. The building was all masonry, with concrete floors. I had to drill from the floor below (above a suspended ceiling) into a void space above where mechanicals were run. I carefully measured, then drilled up with a 36 inch long bit on a spline drive hammer drill (the floors were nearly 24 inches thick). After the drill burst through the other side, it jammed up. I ran the drill and it came free, but I couldn't pull it back through the hole. It slid back and fourth pretty easily, but I couldn't get the bit to pull back through. I ran the drill a few more times, and pulled and pulled. No help. I went up to the next floor to see if I could spy what the trouble was. I apparently mis-measured, since I had come up inside a cloak closet, and had a ladies long coat wrapped up tight around the drill. The coat was done for.

"Oh sh*t"

i know somone who drilled through the top step on a stair case 3x, thinking it was a joist! lady was happy, she got a new carpet!

Reply to Hello, from the USA in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock