Discuss Hello from Wisconsin in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TimWI10

DIY
Reaction score
Hello I'm Tim from Wisconsin. I'm a DIYer (to the best of my ability) and am learning a lot about improving our home. So far I've learned the basics of light fixtures, standard receptacles, light switches, 3 way light switches, and one 4 way switch.

Our home was built in 1970.

I'm in the process of updating light fixtures and ran into something interesting. In this room there are two 3 way switches that control the light fixture. I removed the old light fixture and disconnected the wires and separated them. I made the mistake of not taking a picture first of where everything was originally which I'm really regretting. A big rookie mistake. But anyway in the light fixture box there are 3 different sets of wires running into it.

Here are the 3 sets.

A black, white, and bare. I believe this is a power source entering into the box. I ran a voltmeter to each of the black/brown wires and it's the only one that had power.

A brown, white, and bare.

A brown, white and bare.

273481565_4896942537016367_1866707744754692434_n.jpg

Can someone explain to me how this works so I can get the new light fixture hooked back up?

Thanks in advance!
Tim

Its ok.... Megawatt keeps us right with the american side of things... but the basics are pretty similar....

"Don't touch it until you know its dead"

Where is he?? Yoohoo? @Megawatt ???

PS Have you got lots of snow in Wisconsin?

Hello I'm Tim from Wisconsin. I'm a DIYer (to the best of my ability) and am learning a lot about improving our home. So far I've learned the basics of light fixtures, standard receptacles, light switches, 3 way light switches, and one 4 way switch.

Our home was built in 1970.

I'm in the process of updating light fixtures and ran into something interesting. In this room there are two 3 way switches that control the light fixture. I removed the old light fixture and disconnected the wires and separated them. I made the mistake of not taking a picture first of where everything was originally which I'm really regretting. A big rookie mistake. But anyway in the light fixture box there are 3 different sets of wires running into it.

Here are the 3 sets.

A black, white, and bare. I believe this is a power source entering into the box. I ran a voltmeter to each of the black/brown wires and it's the only one that had power.

A brown, white, and bare.

A brown, white and bare.

View attachment 94902

Can someone explain to me how this works so I can get the new light fixture hooked back up?

Thanks in advance!
Tim
Good morning my friend. Since you have a meter take the switches out of the wall, but don’t take the wires loose. In theory you should have one 3 conductor cable in your box where your light is and you don’t have but 2 conductor cables. The only thing I can think of is the one of the bare wires are being used as a traveler. Take your meter and check continuity between the 2 cables to see if in fact that the bare is being used as a traveler and it should be obvious by looking at how the switches are wired. I’ve never seen a 3 way switch just using a 2 conductor cable so it has to be the way in the picture that I sent you. It’s dangerous wiring the light like this but I guess that’s what you have. I’m not insulting your intelligence but please make sure the power is off. Good luck with your switches.

Attachments

• 0C583757-C8F6-4186-8868-555FCBCEC8F8.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 9
Good morning my friend. Since you have a meter take the switches out of the wall, but don’t take the wires loose. In theory you should have one 3 conductor cable in your box where your light is and you don’t have but 2 conductor cables. The only thing I can think of is the one of the bare wires are being used as a traveler. Take your meter and check continuity between the 2 cables to see if in fact that the bare is being used as a traveler and it should be obvious by looking at how the switches are wired. I’ve never seen a 3 way switch just using a 2 conductor cable so it has to be the way in the picture that I sent you. It’s dangerous wiring the light like this but I guess that’s what you have. I’m not insulting your intelligence but please make sure the power is off. Good luck with your switches.
Its ok.... Megawatt keeps us right with the american side of things... but the basics are pretty similar....

"Don't touch it until you know its dead"
since you have 2 cables left in you box so it could be that the 2 cables left, whoever wired it could be using both cables as your 3 conductor cable so check the wire colors on the switch and if needed come back to the forum so I can be of further assistance

Reply to Hello from Wisconsin in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net