Discuss Fitting a new electric cooker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Stokesy13

DIY
Reaction score
Hello all, I need a new cooker, the supplier will only fit it if it's safe to do so, is it possible to tell if it's safe to fit from my photo? Many thanksFitting a new electric cooker 15939667651315387723704440273808 - EletriciansForums.net

What do they mean safe to do so, health and safety wise due to the current covid situation or electrically safe. That outlet plate needs replacing as it has no cable clamp fitted and the cable currently connected to it is somewhat poor. Have you removed the cover plate.

What do they mean safe to do so, health and safety wise due to the current covid situation or electrically safe. That outlet plate needs replacing as it has no cable clamp fitted and the cable currently connected to it is somewhat poor. Have you removed the cover plate.
Sorry yes I removed the plastic cover over the cables, I mean is the part the wires are attached to outdated and likely to be condemned or would it still be classed as safe to fit a new cooker? I fitted the last cooker myself hence the poor wiring job as I have no knowledge of electrics but I am presuming the wire can be stripped back and still used

It has no cable clamp fitted, it needs replacing.

They may also be looking for RCD protection on the circuit. May not be technically required by BS7671 (the regulations), but they will be going by the cookers' installation instructions. They will not deviate from that.

It has no cable clamp fitted, it needs replacing.
Ok thank you, is this the cable clamp? Fitting a new electric cooker 15939692538625823837505374205508 - EletriciansForums.net
[automerge]1593969573[/automerge]
They may also be looking for RCD protection on the circuit. May not be technically required by BS7671 (the regulations), but they will be going by the cookers' installation instructions. They will not deviate from that.
Ok thank you, so so you would recommend getting an electrician in instead of the suppliers electrician

I would advise getting an electrician for a few reasons.

You need a new cooker outlet. with cable clamp and front cover (the clamp is fitted before the cover)
The circuit will be tested to ensure its safe BEFORE connecting your new cooker.
The cable going from the the outlet to the cooker should be flexible, not grey twin and earth as it is now

I would advise getting an electrician for a few reasons.

You need a new cooker outlet. with cable clamp and front cover (the clamp is fitted before the cover)
The circuit will be tested to ensure its safe BEFORE connecting your new cooker.
The cable going from the the outlet to the cooker should be flexible, not grey twin and earth as it is now
Thank you very much for your advice , u really appreciate it! I have 2 steam vents on my cooker but steam gas only ever came out of one, do you think this is because of the way I fitted it?

Reply to Fitting a new electric cooker in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock