Discuss Hello! Looking for a career change and very confused! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone

After working in retail and hospitality for about 10 years I have decided the work has sucked enough life out of me, and I decided to change careers. My partner is currently working towards a gas engineer qualification, we're also planning to invest in properties in the future. A career in electrics is a logical choice for me, something I think I would enjoy and quite useful for our future ambitions.

However, I feel confused when looking at ways to get into the industry. Fast track courses seem so convenient and appealing but having spent some time on this forum I know not a lot of people are in favour. I have registered with SECTT and awaiting my Pre-Employment Assessment hoping this will allow me to get an adult apprenticeship. However I heard somewhere that these can also be exploited and you don't always learn as much as you'd like.

I also considered doing some basic courses such as PAT Testing and 2329 to be able to start doing odd domestic jobs on a side. Being a female I think I would have a slightly easier time getting jobs considering the demand in Scotland and a considerable lack of supply.

What would you say would be the best thing for me to do? As soon as I think I know what to do I get contradictory information and end up doing nothing!

Thanks
Kam

Hey Kam, welcome to the forum proper. Have you experience in DIY, using power tools, cutting, sawing fixing things? How much of the DIY work have you done yourself? I ask this because the industry is built on a foundation of that, not the other way a round. You can’t learn how to do those things whilst learning the trade, you sort of have to have them under your belt first. I may be proved wrong but I just wanted you to think about that at the same time.
I must admit though that it sounds idyllic working with your partner on housing improvements.
More views will be along shortly and don’t forget to search other threads. All the best

Hello! Thanks for the reply!

I am ok with tools for a girl I guess you could say. My dad used to be a car mechanic so I used to play in his garage, I am no stranger to lots of simple tools, but no expert either. I've changed sockets before, I know a thing or two about fuses, I can change a plug on an appliance. In terms of non-electrical experience together with my man we have renovated a flat complete with lying wooden flooring down, new skirtings, sockets and light switches, plastering, new bathroom suite and new radiators. I'm pretty good at improvising too as the flat was ridden with things we didn't expect, like none of the rooms were actually square and every flat surface was squint (I'm getting flashbacks now!)

The one time we renovated together was a complete nightmare but we learnt lots from it and know what we would/wouldn't do next time. Totally up for doing it again though, the satisfaction was unreal!

I started in 1981 but left for a job in IT and running my own businesses. Returning recently I did a 4 week DEI course hoping (and trusting the sales person o_O) that it will help me get back up to speed. I was wrong. All it did was highlight what I didn't know and how much things had moved on. And it cost me short of £4000 to find out.
There is no fast-track for experience or education in electrical theory for that matter. You can't hope to take on years of knowledge in a few weeks. However, the DEI course is perhaps helpful in making you aware of 17th edition, part P and give you a little hands on with the 'lighter' side of domestic electrical work. But as Rpa07 said, if you are not skilled in using power tools you risk damage, accidents or worse if you practice on a customers property.

If you find yourself set on the fast-track path, then I would at the very least advise you to do this first and BEFORE you do the course... Find a mentor, a full or part time job, or a company that could use a spare pair of hands for a few months (ideally a year or two). Then, when you come out the other end of the DEI conveyor belt you will have somewhere to go, rather than risk going out completely green.

The very best of luck to you.

Hi,welcome.
Your plans of an alternative career,are laudable,and i wish you the best of luck. The problem with a sudden change of career,is usually,it is driven initially by the heart or circumstance,and a realistic time scale,is the last thing to be accepted.

Given your described experience,and,without obviously knowing any more about you,a practical time scale,of getting trained up,confident,and capable of taking on the great British public:rolleyes: would be a number of years - not months.

I am not suggesting that people do not do this,just that it is a big expectation.

Any institution,training supplier or body,who suggests to you there is a "fast track",is just wrong,not right and incorrect :)

Tell us more of the actual work that you envisage undertaking,and your fixed circumstances,around which any training will occur.

Reply to Hello! Looking for a career change and very confused! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net