Discuss Hello New member from NI with a kitchen Appliance Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

peterl3986

Hello,
I am doing a trial fit out for a kitchen fitting company as a new business. I believe I may have messed up a bit and may need to find a way around sorting out my issue.

Issue is:

6mm T&E running into kitchen about 3m from consumer unit and tracked into wall. Customer then has a single oven and a microwave oven to be wired into this 6mm cable and also the hob. I am a bit worried that I may overload the cable if i run all 3 products through this cable.

Also the kitchen just been plastered and have no way of getting a larger cable into the kitchen. My fault put on pressure and i messed up. Is there any way round this or will i have to find a way of getting another cable into the kitchen?

Thanks in Advance

Peter :shocked3:

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

What is the total load for all 3 appliances? Now apply diversity (60% rule of thumb for a quick answer) BUT remember that any appliance over 3Kw needs its own circuit!

You need to know the Kw rating of the oven and hob and take it from there.

Last edited:
Hi Peter and welcome to the forum.

What is the total load for all 3 appliances? Now apply diversity (60% rule of thumb for a quick answer) BUT remember that any appliance over 3Kw needs its own circuit!

You need to know the Kw rating of the oven and take it from there.

ps, you say "3 products" but only mention the oven and microwave? What is the third one???

"also the hob"

firstquestion apart from the rating of the oven and hob i,,, does the microwave come fitted with a 1363 plug-top?

Hello,

Thanks for the reply's

Single oven:0.9kw
Combi: 3KW
Hob: 5.6KW

Don't think any of these com with plug fitted but not sure as have only done first fix and appliance have not arrived.

Have seen posts about a small Consumer board but wasn't sure if still would need to upgrade incoming cable.

Thanks

Peter

IMO, if ref. method C ( and that includes buried in plaster) 6.0mm will be fine on a 32A MCB. ( for years this has been the norm for cooking loads up to 15kW rated total load. it's diversity that is the main factor here. oven at 0.9kW will likely come with a fitted plug, so a socket outlet off the RFC in a suitable location is probably a good idea. this will give some circuit division and leave at least 1 cooking appliance working in the case of a fault on 1 circuit.

Reply to Hello New member from NI with a kitchen Appliance Issue in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net