Discuss Hello sparks and fellow sparks in training! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In 1983 I was 12! Welcome and remember that every day is a school day and we luurve to learn

Hey Tony, I hope you're not training to be a sparky when I say this, but (can look away now if you like), I actually feel old myself! Compared to the other apprentice who is at my firm and is 16!! it makes me feel I've wasted 8-9 yrs of my life. I should have started the apprenticeship when I was his age. I almost tried to get a better company but they don't want to look at 24 yr olds as apprentices. I know why now. They're a few reasons, but still seems on the outside a bit ageist).

To Cirrus,

I think you would be extremely lucky to get on an apprenticeship at 33 today. Perhaps, I made it even more difficult for myself by applying in November, lol! Spring and early summer are the best times to apply imho, with college's starting in September. Not many companies do apprenticeships, so something must be quite wrong.

I phoned 70 companies in London, and phoned mine 10 frickin times, lol! And I spent many phone calls to the JIB, ECA and JTL. I do not rate JIB and especially JTL, what a joke they are! Was like a NASCAR race. Finally got on their 'approved' list but being older than 18 meant ANY company would have to pay half the college fees and a lot more to JTL for some silly 'officer' to help you fill in a arch lever file/portfolio which I can do myself??!! It would never had happened. It's so much doing it private through my local college. Getting my college placement was another story of sheer luck! There's usually a 2-3 year waiting list for the 2330 L2.

Many thanks to all you youngsters. The way things are going I might as well trade in my company van for a zimmer frame with a little basket for my tool kit. Still you can't substitute for experience, or so they say and I have to agree with the comment about every day is a learning day. As long as I keep learning I know I can keep working.

Believe it or not it is a great industry and the main qualifications required are inherent insanity, a sense of humour and a lecherous streak (knowing what you're doing helps as well!!!).

Must go now my cocoa is getting cold and my slippers are getting hot!

Reply to Hello sparks and fellow sparks in training! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock