Discuss Upgrade gas hob to induction hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello, we have recently brought a new build house and we want to upgrade our gas hob for an induction hob, we have already brought the hob which requires 32AMP and is 7.4KW power

our house layout makes it a little tricky and expensive to rewire a new circuit through (which we should have probably thought about in the first place) but we was just wondering whether they was anything else we could do? we have a grill and single oven right next to the current hob, they is also a 16AMP plug underneath the current hob for the igniter - is they anyway of getting the power from anywhere else?

It's unlikely there's a 16a socket in place - that's a more industrial connector.

Without going into too much detail no, there's not much you can do - if it needs a 32a supply, it needs a 32a supply.

However, do speak to the developer. In some instances they run cable in and leave it hidden, so the appliances (gas or elec) can be specified at a later date. This used to be a trend - not sure if it still is but worth an ask

what may look tricky to you might not be a problem for a professional sparks. might be an idea to ask around for some quotes.

Have a look at the consumer unit and see if what @lozarus says it true. There should be a breaker marked 'cooker'.
Take a pic of your consumer unit with the lid open, so we can see the breakers, and post it up on here. Hopefully they have left a spare way if a 32A circuit is needed.

Impossible to say without having a look, does you have a cooker switch that turns your cooker on and off? if so then you may be able to connect it to that but it all depends on what its already supplying. Call an electrician and he'll be able to check and connect if it is possible.

It's unlikely there's a 16a socket in place - that's a more industrial connector.

Without going into too much detail no, there's not much you can do - if it needs a 32a supply, it needs a 32a supply.

However, do speak to the developer. In some instances they run cable in and leave it hidden, so the appliances (gas or elec) can be specified at a later date. This used to be a trend - not sure if it still is but worth an ask

Oh yes - sorry this is my lack of understanding, it is a 13a

we didnt even think of asking the developer - thanks for the suggestion

Impossible to say without having a look, does you have a cooker switch that turns your cooker on and off? if so then you may be able to connect it to that but it all depends on what its already supplying. Call an electrician and he'll be able to check and connect if it is possible.
yes we have a seperate switch and the cooker is on its own circuit 32a - i have seen on other forums people suggesting connection to the cooker but i think with the hob requiring 32a it wouldnt be enough power to use both electicals

Have a look at the consumer unit and see if what @lozarus says it true. There should be a breaker marked 'cooker'.
Take a pic of your consumer unit with the lid open, so we can see the breakers, and post it up on here. Hopefully they have left a spare way if a 32A circuit is needed.

Attachments

• Upgrade gas hob to induction hob Box - EletriciansForums.net
    Box.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 35
plenty of spare capacity there, so the main problem is getting a cable fronm A to B.

Ha yes - we have a big board but the route to the kitchen is not easy, the joists go the opposite way so cant just be threaded through and requires the wire going outside, upstairs - about 5m of floor board being removed and then threaded down - i just wanted to research and see if they was a better way

Depends on how eager you are to have your new hob.

I used to do similar installs, by cutting 100mm access circles from below, into the plasterboard ceiling, to access the joists, running parallel to the cable route. Those circles can be re-instated fixing to a 150mm wood baton, filled & decorated. The access circles allow you to drill holes in the joists & run the cable. The number of circles will be dependant on the cable route and joist centres, normally 600mm or sometimes 400mm.

Just had to had to do something similar in my new build, to add a smoke alarm. Whilst I can just see the decorated circles, from about 6", I can't see anything from the floor looking up and when next decorated, almost invisible to the eye. In your case, I suspect the joists will be I beams or I joists. Don't even think about lifting the chipboard flooring, as it will be screwed & glued to the I joists.

Theres every possibility that your oven is plugged in, if this is the case I would connect the hob to the cooker circuit and then stick another socket in for the oven.

Maybe now is the time to re-evaluate your decision to move from gas to induction ? It's an interesting move anyway... I have an induction hob and would move to a gas one if it was at all possible... In fact, I'd probably pay up to about £1k to have a gas supply put on so that I could use one !

I know these things are quite personal decisions though.

I would imagine that the oven is plugged in and the cooker circuit is spare? It is on 90% of new builds, mines 10 years old and the cooker circuit still does nothing.
Also it will be a nightmare as the sparks have said, new builds are absolutely awful to do anything in. Get the main run of weyrock up will be the best bet

yes we have a seperate switch and the cooker is on its own circuit 32a - i have seen on other forums people suggesting connection to the cooker but i think with the hob requiring 32a it wouldnt be enough power to use both electicals
What is the Power or current rating of the cooker?

Most single ovens can run off a 13amp plug, so it may just be a case of changing the two over, oven into the 13amp socket and the induction hob into what may be a 32amp supply being used by the cooker at the moment, but without inspection it would be impossible to tell, but I would persevere, induction hobs are brilliant, so much better than anything else out there. IMO

Last edited:

Reply to Upgrade gas hob to induction hob in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock