Discuss HELP! 2 way 2G dimmer with downlight! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

salmanhamid

Hi All

Apologies if it is a basic question and has been discussed here before.

We are putting new spot lights in our bedroom and I am in the middle of buying all the stuff we need, we are putting 9 lights for the bedroom, GU10 240V with 50W lamps, outer 6 will work on 1 dimmer and inner 3 will work on one. My question is, is this dimmer suitable for what we are trying to do cause Im unable to find 2G 2W decorative dimmer in 400W all I can find is 250W one :(

Crabtree 2G 2W 250W Dimmer Black Nickel | NoLinkingToThis

Any help and suggestion highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and help

S

No u have 300w on one dimmer and 150w on the other u should at least 1.5x the dimmer wattage I always double it 250w won't last long

We are planning to having 2 dimmers in the room one above the bed and one at the entrance thats why wanted 2 way, is that not possible?

Do we need to tell building council that we are having spot lights?

In a word no 6x50W = min 300W. You don't need it to be 2Way unless you are also incorporating a standard switch as well.

Something like this should do for the "outer 6": 1 Gang 2 Way 500w iQ Dimmer Switch

Don't forget this will need notifying to building control at your local council, that will add to your cost.

We are planning to having 2 dimmers in the room one above the bed and one at the entrance thats why wanted 2 way, is that not possible?

Do we need to tell building council that we are having spot lights?

Possible, yes. Will you get the result you desire, I doubt it! Put the simple on/off switch at the entrance to the room and the dimmers by the bed.

Don't forget this will need notifying to building control at your local council, that will add to your cost.

Not notifiable as it's an addition to a circuit NOT in a special location. Only non CE marked non pre-assembled ELV lighting is notifiable. The OP is using 240V GU10 lights.

You have two controls to consider one governing 6x50W = 300W and one governing 3x50W=150. So 1x400W and 1x250W should do for the dimmers and then a 2g2w switch at the room entrance. The real question is which side of the bed do you place the dimmers :)

And we certainly cannot have dimmers on both ends, has to be switch on one and dimmers on other?

You have two controls to consider one governing 6x50W = 300W and one governing 3x50W=150. So 1x400W and 1x250W should do for the dimmers and then a 2g2w switch at the room entrance. The real question is which side of the bed do you place the dimmers :)

Just a little warning.

When GU10 bulbs blow it creates a small surge that sometimes takes out the MCB/RCD and can also blow the dimmer switch at the same time.

This happened to a 1000W dimmer at my sister's house earlier this year.

Ahhhhh....

Just a little warning.

When GU10 bulbs blow it creates a small surge that sometimes takes out the MCB/RCD and can also blow the dimmer switch at the same time.

This happened to a 1000W dimmer at my sister's house earlier this year.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't say anywhere in description if that is a one or 2 way dimmer!

http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/crabtree-1g-400w-touch-dimmer-black-nickel/29850

Crabtree 1G 400W Touch Dimmer Black Nickel | NoLinkingToThis

It doesn't say anywhere in description if that is a one or 2 way dimmer!

Crabtree 1G 400W Touch Dimmer Black Nickel | NoLinkingToThis

I have seen the above in screwfix this morning and it looks absolutely wonderful.

Reply to HELP! 2 way 2G dimmer with downlight! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net