Discuss help 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris Burt

hi,
i have a garage iam renting but i only have 1 double socket and need more, i also have 2 car lifts that need a 3 phase supply,ihave a grinder with a 4pole red plugwith nowhere to plug it in, now the big problemis that thelandlord has said i can get the socket circut re done to incorpuate more sockets but he has saidwe are not allowed to replace the dist board and it is full so my question is.... can iget a second board put in that can run from the first???

thanks in advance

How could you possibly put a second dist board in if the original is full...this would mean taking things off their own individual circuits and doubling them up with others. I am not willing to advise on this because i haven't seen the DB...it could be possible to free a way up by doubling other circuits...load depending. Get a qualified electrician to take a look at this.

However, running another DB from your original will not solve your 3phase problem. You need a form of phase conversion. You really need to get a sparks too take a look at this buddy, it's not something anyone on here can sucessfully help with - too many if's and but's for a proper helping hand online.

Yes, but i doubt he'd be willing to fund that if he won't even upgrade too a bigger board.

Also begs the question why the OP asked about a second board if he wont upgrade the first but still.

Dunno.jpg

Chris the best advice has to be for you to consult a sparky local to you, you might be thinking it's just a couple of wires but there's a lot more to it than that mate especially if you're moving cars around in there and potentially spilling petrol

I think the OP may be lacking an understanding of the depth of this, its a rented garage with existing power but no 3ph points... id be inclined to think its only got 1ph supply???

I agree DW. Whereabouts are you OP? One of us might be near you and could give you a proper idea of how much it would cost to do this safely

i have had a sparks in and he said he was going to run it from the existing board or from the isolater witch is local to the meter, would it just be easier to swap the dist board out? i might just have to hound the landlord

So a spark came out and told you how a job would be done but then you come on here asking if and how what this "spark" has "told you"
I'm not having a pop at you mate but do you see what I'm getting at?

TBH i dont understand why the landlord wont let you get an electrician in to fit a larger board ... im on the assumption you are willing to carry the costs of this yourself as its your requirements thus the landlord isnt subject to paying for the work.. if you explain you will have the qualified electrician provide you with the relevant Cert for the job then he may see the light realising you are improving the electrical layout.... Note here that in changing it you dont have any claim on the fuseboard if say you terminated your tenancy .... its a cost you will have to shoulder and you could always put it through as business costs.

Reply to help 3 phase in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net