Discuss Help!! Adding outlet in place of switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

oods74

Hi all, new around here!!

I'm hoping someone could advise on a little diy electrical work I want to undertake: I have an outdoor light which I never use, there is a power supply to it straight from the consumer unit with a switch in the line (indoors). I wish to replace the switch front panel with a power outlet socket and consequently lose the outside light. I have already fitted my purchased socket outlet but when i try to power a vacuum cleaner from it it blows the rcd on the consumer.

Pics of the existing switch:

cc8557934a184d47a403a11643047f8f.jpg
201f0e1dcd6477198109b1e9992c9f93.jpg
5519c80837d181421af0e860618a7fd0.jpg

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry to provide you with disappointing news, but it will never work as the lighting circuit which was originally in place is not sufficient to power a socket. GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN!!!!!! Im really biting my tongue here as well to the delight of the mods

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lighting circuits, and there are power circuits.
A lighting circuit is designed to supply lights, a power circuit will provide power.
You are attempting to use a lighting circuit for power, do you see the problem?

Ok ok bad practice [emoji23]
Had a feeling it would be so, how do I go about gaining sockets in an old fashioned brick house??

Had a feeling it would be so, how do I go about gaining sockets in an old fashioned brick house??
you employ the services of an old-fashioned electrician. :yesnod:

Not bad practice, just plain wrong and potentially dangerous.

The basic process is to assess the existing wiring to ensure it is safe to extend it.
Then find suitable cable routes to the new locations.
Then install it
Then carry out testing
Turn it on
Carry out further testing and complete the paperwork
Then it's ready to be used

if you post your location, one of us old farts might be close to give you a sensible quote. or you could employ a Electrical Trainee but they only know how to install sockets on a wood board in a classroom. :carolers:

The circuit was designed for lighting - 100W per point as a basic rule of thumb. You're trying to run an appliance of around 1600W from it, which is more than the circuit was designed to handle.
It's probably going to be just as easy to get an electrician in to put a new socket next to this switch as it is to try to get this to work.

This situation actually happens alarmingly often, in my opinion due to poor design - I always think there should be a socket placed suitably conveniently to avoid anyone having to try to bodge something into the lighting circuit and thereby making all the lights trip when they try to use a vacuum cleaner or other high wattage appliance.

This is just a personal crusade of mine - other members seem to think you shouldn't ever need to clean wherever you're trying to, but you have illustrated my point perfectly.

if you post your location, one of us old farts might be close to give you a sensible quote. or you could employ a Electrical Trainee but they only know how to install sockets on a wood board in a classroom. :carolers:

Now now Tel you will have the Police after you, but well said.

Don't feel bad - there are 'electricians' on here who seem to think it's fine to do this in a loft for a TV booster on the assumption that nobody is ever going to plug anything else in, but that's a different argument.

There will be a way of routing cables for additional sockets - remember the cables for the light you're looking to replace didn't just grow there, but it may involve lifting floorboards and chasing into the walls, which will probably require redecoration.
You seem to have managed up until now without a socket in this position - could you wait until the next time you're ready to decorate?

couls always wait for wireless solar powered sockets to beinvented, but pigs with wings will be flying before then.

So it's back to the drawing board for me then..

By the way, the appliance I wish to run from this outlet is only low wattage (cctv camera).

couls always wait for wireless solar powered sockets to beinvented, but pigs with wings will be flying before then.
I got asked yesterday if I had been on the funny juice when I submitted a post, is that what you have been on Tel?

By the way, the appliance I wish to run from this outlet is only low wattage (cctv camera).

If you've got stuff worth protecting with CCTV, you can afford to get an electrician in.

To be honest , it's not the drawing board you should be considering , it's the British Standards.

I thought you said in post #1 that you'd tried to power a vacuum cleaner from it.
Presumably if you don't need the light you didn't have it put in; what is to say the next person who lives there doesn't need a power supply for a CCTV camera but would like to use the socket for a vacuum cleaner, tumble dryer, electric heater etc, then they've got a socket which apart from being positioned a bit high trips every time they try to use it, ie it's "faulty".

Don't feel bad - there are 'electricians' on here who seem to think it's fine to do this in a loft for a TV booster on the assumption that nobody is ever going to plug anything else in, but that's a different argument.

There will be a way of routing cables for additional sockets - remember the cables for the light you're looking to replace didn't just grow there, but it may involve lifting floorboards and chasing into the walls, which will probably require redecoration.
You seem to have managed up until now without a socket in this position - could you wait until the next time you're ready to decorate?

That's a completely different scenario and you know it....a suitably labelled socket in a loft is entirely different to an unlabelled 13a socket in a living area of a house.

Well its so easy isn't it, just swap the front plate ?. Get somebody in that is competent, lighting cable you would not get me putting a socket on it 2.5mm minimum with an 16 amp ocpd.

That's a completely different scenario and you know it....a suitably labelled socket in a loft is entirely different to an unlabelled 13a socket in a living area of a house.
A label isn't going to make any difference, especially in someone's house. Take this situation - it wasn't even a socket and the guy plugged a vacuum cleaner in and overloaded the lighting circuit.
Presumably by 'living area' you're referring to the idea that people don't generally go into the loft very often? That might be the case, but generally speaking the access to that area is more precarious, usually by means of a ladder, making it even more dangerous if the lighting circuit fails, which is made more likely by inviting temptation by putting a convenient socket on the lighting circuit. The lights going out and someone falling down the loft hatch only needs to happen once for it to be an inconvenience.

This isn't about having a dedicated socket on a lighting circuit, it's about increasing the likelihood of someone plugging something inappropriate into that lighting circuit.
If there were a 'normal' socket next to the labelled socket, unused switch, lighting socket or whatever, then if anyone needs to plug anything in they'll just use that instead of trying to be ingenious; it just so happens that if there were a 'normal' 13A socket there then that's what would get used for an aerial booster or whatever instead of an electrician looking for loopholes in the regs to avoid having to extend the socket circuit.

Reply to Help!! Adding outlet in place of switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net