Discuss Help & Advice Needed in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I

irishmalt

I am new to this forum but would like to change my career and become an electrician. I have received a whole lot of information for training from a company called Access Trade Careers who are saying that they will train me and cover Part P, C&G 2382, C&G 2392-10 & C&G 2391-10. They say that the course will cost £ 5470 plus accommodation at £120 per practical training session of which there are 5.
I would be grateful if I could get some feedback.
Kind Rgds

The course has commenced in Jan 08. It is a years course although this depends on the student they say. This will be a major career change as I am 40 an have been in the shipping & transport field fo the last 20 odd years. Any suggestions would be great.

Well. Don't rush. There are LOADS of these training centres. You have to shop and ask around for the best prices and reputations.

At your age (No offence) I doubt your wanting to spend 3yrs at college so I presume this is why your thinking of going down this route?

I have just returned to the UK and was looking at doing one of these courses but, to be honest, the prices put me off. You will be getting quoted anything between 4-6 grand. It's a lot of money to lay out and then you have your tools on top of that plus no guarantees of work at the end of it (I'm not trying to put you off. Just stating the facts as I, personally, see it).

I suppose it all comes down to how much you want this and why you want to be an electrician.

Don't think your age will work against you. Personally I think if anything, it'll help. Life experience, emotional maturity etc.

Are you wanting to become a "Full" electrician (which basically means all types of work. Commercial/Industrial/Domestic), in which case you will need the C&G2330 or would you prefer domestic work only? If the latter then you should look into the EAL Domestic Installer course.

I hope this has gone some way towards helping you?

Any more questions then please ask away. Plenty of guys on here will give sound advice.

Well. Don't rush. There are LOADS of these training centres. You have to shop and ask around for the best prices and reputations.

At your age (No offence) I doubt your wanting to spend 3yrs at college so I presume this is why your thinking of going down this route?

I have just returned to the UK and was looking at doing one of these courses but, to be honest, the prices put me off. You will be getting quoted anything between 4-6 grand. It's a lot of money to lay out and then you have your tools on top of that plus no guarantees of work at the end of it (I'm not trying to put you off. Just stating the facts as I, personally, see it).

I suppose it all comes down to how much you want this and why you want to be an electrician.

Don't think your age will work against you. Personally I think if anything, it'll help. Life experience, emotional maturity etc.

Are you wanting to become a "Full" electrician (which basically means all types of work. Commercial/Industrial/Domestic), in which case you will need the C&G2330 or would you prefer domestic work only? If the latter then you should look into the EAL Domestic Installer course.

I hope this has gone some way towards helping you?

Any more questions then please ask away. Plenty of guys on here will give sound advice.

Bane, whilst i mostly agree with your comments - you dont NEED 2330 for commercial / industrial work. You dont NEED anything, other than competence / and or appropriate supervision.

I dont have 2330 and worked extensively accross many aspects of this industry

and i know a few lads who are in a similar position to this fellow, who have done similar courses (EAL DEI etc) then landed jobs as mates in industrial.and or commercial.

best of luck mate!

Thank you for all the feedback it has been very enlightening.

I would ideally want to go for the Full Electrician side. My main worry is finding the work and although the training company have said that they have a recruitment department within their their set up, I am the eternal sceptic.

What are the realistic availability for newly qualified electricians in the South east ie Oxfordshire?
Thanks

It all depends really. I know newly qualified sparks who have sent over 200 applications and no luck. Then I see others who just walk into a job. Best way forward seems to be getting a job as you train at college and all of a sudden you become eminently more employable

a number of people i work with have started out as labour got some qualifications ,moved up to mates finally getting full qualifications
age isnt usually a barrier being keen, cheap and a quick learner goes a long way
if you get with a company and they reckon your good enough they might invest in you

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still in a dilemma. I believe that I really want to go for the course however the cost and the uncertainty of the job change (loss of income). Would anyone know of an electrician in the oxfordshire area who would want an electricians mate for evening or weekend work?

hi has anyone been on the course and got any feedback as i am looking at doing this course or similar, or if anyone has got any advice on how to get into Electricians career it would be greatly appreciated many thanks.

Paulphillips27.

Are you a complete newcomer to electrics or do you have some experience?

Hi,

I am new to electrics,

I have done research into the courses available and just weighing up my options, as i would like a career change (Like most people) I know these courses can be done from 4 weeks to 1 year or the 2330 over 3 years, i would like to go on one of the shorter courses, (1 year) as i would like to get out of my current job sooner rather than later and having some qualifications would help in a electrical job. I know i wouldnt be fully competant after this period and would probably have to start of as a trainee or something.

I think the longer course (1year) would be more benifical as you have more study time on the paperwork and its not all cramped into 4 weeks.

Do you think a newcomer to electrics would be able to pass these courses 2391, EAL etc?

Any other information would be great

Many thanks

2391, there is always a possibility but the % pass rate speaks for itselves, last one i think was 33% pass 67% fail. Nothing is impossible, but can be a pain in the bum, the eal can be obtained easilerly,

its abit like your driving theory test for those who have passed it in the last 5 years, where ur mate sez its ez and u don't need to revise, so you don't revise and fail. I revised and got 100% on the questions, nowt to brag about, but it paid off didnt it

Reply to Help & Advice Needed in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock