Discuss Help/advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hendo

-
Reaction score
Hi all. I've recently been head hunted by a company I used to do install works for via a contractor- basically I've gone to work for them direct in a facilities role. My old firm werent happy with this and are now saying I cannot test any of my installed works and self certify as I'm not nic registered. I have 2391, 18th ed etc etc even have Amtech software for certs, cable calls and after 30 odd years I count myself competent. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks

If it's domestic work you may need to be Part P registered, ie. via a scheme such as NICEIC.....
competent or not.
They may be saying you're not allowed to because you're not registered.....nothing to do with them, really, but if they're losing work as a result, they may be just stating a fact.

Registration to a scheme like the niceic will enable a person to self certify domestic installation for compliance with Part P of the building regs for notifiable work

Not being registered and doing the work differs in that the work is notified to the building control along with a fee before commencing the work, its then their responsibility to inspect and test the works and issue a compliance certificate

As far as any and all electrical work is concerned (irrespective of building regs notification procedures mentioned above)the work requires testing and the issuing of certification by the installer/inspector/designer who could be 3 people or a individual signing as all 3

The requirement for issuing of certification is because its required in order to comply with electrical (18th edition) regulations,there is no need to be a member of any scheme if you chose not to do so but if you wish to self certify for Part P then you must join one of the schemes
Commercial and industrial installation relies on customer and/or insurance requirements

Cheers guys, yes it's all industrial, no domestic works at all. Think they are just being bitter having lost a sparkle and some work as well.

Hi all. I've recently been head hunted by a company I used to do install works for via a contractor- basically I've gone to work for them direct in a facilities role. My old firm werent happy with this and are now saying I cannot test any of my installed works and self certify as I'm not nic registered. I have 2391, 18th ed etc etc even have Amtech software for certs, cable calls and after 30 odd years I count myself competent. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks
I assume you were using your old firms NICEIC membership to allow you to carry out testing on their installs.
Do the new firm you work for not have any CP registration ???

As this is industrial then as far as I know there’s no requirement for CPS registration. Sounds like your old firm as just being bitter. I know what I’d be telling them to do.

As this is industrial then as far as I know there’s no requirement for CPS registration. Sounds like your old firm as just being bitter. I know what I’d be telling them to do.
Yeah it's as i thought, the strange thing is that I will be dealing and deciding on sub contract labour for bigger jobs on site so they now need to play nice

I assume you were using your old firms NICEIC membership to allow you to carry out testing on their installs.
Do the new firm you work for not have any CP registration ???
No I'm now in house Electrical facilities engineer for a large distribution company

Reply to Help/advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock