Discuss Help. Any way to measure the length of a self regulating trace heating cable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

X

xwhitemousex

Here's the problem.

We have a self regulating trace heating tape installed on a piping process line where we need to know the length of the tape.

The tape was estimated to be 10 metres (approx 32.8 feet).

However the guys who installed it have reported that they have installed 19 metres (approx 62.3 feet).

Problem is that the additional length may cause an overload on the circuit, and we need to confirm wether or not it's 10 metres or 19 metres.

The pipeline is already insulated, meaning we can't just measure the tape normally by reading the stamped metres on the tape itself or using a measuring tape. Also there are two valves on the pipeline where it is possible they have used excessive lengths of tape. Again, with the pipeline already cladded with insulation, there is no way to tell without removing the insulation (which of course incurs extra manhours of work).

So the question lands on three options, either a) remove insulation to confirm length, b) go by worst case scenario that it is 19 metres thus requiring upgrade of the circuit, or c) any possible ways to measure it's length from the junctionbox?

The cable is a Raychem 8XTV2-CT-T3 Trace Heating Cable Self-Regulating – 25w/m.

The installation is onboard a module for an offshore oilrig, and it is being constructed indoors in the construction halls. As such the temperature is fluctuating alot, depending on how much heating they are using and wether or not the doors of the hall are opened or not (currently -10 centigrade outdoors). Put short, there is no way we can control the temperature in the area around the pipeline itself.

Considering these factors I am thinking it is difficult, if not impossible, to accurately measure the tape to find it's actual length.

I've had suggestions to measure the resistance of the tape, but considering it is a self-regulating tape, where the end-seal insulates the conductors, I belive that in a heated construction hall the result you get from Ohm'ing the cable will be too unreliable to be useful.

Some also suggested powering up the individual tape, but this would give us an inrush ampere which would then fluctuate depending on how cold, or warm, the length of the pipe is. Again, seems quite unreliable.

Any ideas?

I feel like I'm missing something in all this, but darn self-regulating cables have to many variables considering the semiconductor and temperatures.

From what I gather from that document the heat loss must be known in order to know the equilibrium temperature of the tape, which will then give me the information I need, which is the tapes watt/metre at the equilibrium temperature where the tape is stabilized. Once that is known the tape needs to be energized long enough to stabilize, then the measured ampere and input voltage will give us the wattage, which is then simply divided with the equilibrium watt/metre factor.

Problem is, I don't really have that data available since the engineering is done elsewhere.

Thats how I'm reading it anyways. Is that correct?

Reply to Help. Any way to measure the length of a self regulating trace heating cable? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net