Discuss Help!!!!! Brain freeze about risk assessment!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jay Sparks

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys & gals,

Now I know this thread wont exactly test your noodle and most of you, like me will be having a few tinnies and will probably get half way through and press the back button but its done my head in for the last 3 days. I have just paid for my Elesca assessment and I'm waiting to find out when it will be. I am gonna do a cu change for it. Now I have my complaints procedure in place thanks to a very kind person on here who pointed me in the right direction, (showed me his) lol, but I cant for the life in me, work out what to put down for my risk assessment. Most of my previous work has been for other companies, sub contracting, so I never had to write one out before. The last time I did one was at college and well I've killed alot of brain cells with beer and listening to the wife since then:sleeping:. Now like most of you, when i go to a job, I subconciously look for the risks and assess how to avoid them, or remove them, its second nature, like crossing the road and looking for that big metal thing, with four wheels speeding towards you :driving:. Anyway every time I think about it, I just cant think of what to put down, or how to put it down. I know the HSE have a template but it looks very indepth and detailed. Can anybody give me advice of on where to start and what to write?

Cheers

Jay

Think , what can go wrong will, but how are you gonna stop it happening or if it happens what are you gonna do about it?

Thanks Trev,

I want it to sound good but I dont know if I should go into alot of detail or just keep it simples, or even how to set it out on a sheet of A4. I know there are five steps but I only want to put down the risks I need too and not to miss any out so the assessor picks up on it, Ive got alot riding on this assessment and I just want everything to be right, so I'm hoping some one has had the Elesca assessment and can give me a few tips of how to set it out and how much to put down.

Cheers

Jay

Risk 1, shock, safe isolation, training
Risk 2, installation faults, testing, training
Risk 3, someone falls from a ladder, three points of contact, training
etc etc
I know this is the most basic cackbut imho thats the way to do it... identify the risks 1 by 1 then detail how you're gonna get round them

Cheers Trev,

Ill just go highlight them all and hope he doesnt knock me for being to carefull, allthough in this game you can never be too carefull.

Cheers

Jay

Like you say mate you can't be too careful. Plus the more risks you identify, even if you think they're too stupid to put down, the better you look. It's better to take everything into consideration rather than dismiss something because you think it's too obvious

Hi Trev, ive pasted one i did earlier. Is this ok? Will it be good enough for the assessor? Its set out better than this but thats what will be in it.

Cheers

Jay

RISK ASSESSMENT
 ​

HAZARD RISKASSESSMENT​

ELECTR-FIXELECTRICAL SERVICES​

ASSESSMENT FOR:​
Mr Julian Thorpe118 Pullan ave,Eccleshill,BradfordBd2​

ASSESSMENT DONE BY:​
Signed:............................................................. Date:.................................................................​

HAZARDS:​
1. Electric shock2. Falling from a ladder3. Fire4. Trip​

WHO MIGHT BE HARMED:​
1. Electrician/Engineer2. Occupants/customer3. Pets (dogs & cats)4. Young people/children​

EVALUATE THE RISK:​
1. Medium2. Medium3. Medium4. Medium​

ACTION NEEDED:​
1. Safe isolation, warning signs, informing the customer/occupants that certain tests are to be carried out that could give rise to an electric shock (IR), Adequate training.2. Check that the ladders are safe to use, always have three points of contact, Securely placed.3. Safe isolation, adequate training.4. Ensure pets are kept outside, or locked away while work is carried out.5. Keep tools out of the walk way​

Last edited:
The more you put on paper the better off you'll be mate but yeah you're thinking along the right lines.
Now, don't think about 1 job, think about all the jobs you'll get and get them all down on paper
Think asbestos (just in case) trip hazards, injury from tools used badly etc etc.

I haven't had to write or show one of those risk assessments and possibly wouldn't if asked
The only one of interest to me is whether non registration is riskier than registration

I know H+S is important to many of you,( I dont share that H+S culture)but dont you think it absurd that registering,on the whole one man bands,its H+S overkill and beaurocratic crap

Who in their right mind would fill in one of those forms to go and do a days work whilst on your tod
This H+S obsessed world is mind boggling to say the least

Good luck with your assessment by the way,both electrical and this risk thing

I haven't had to write or show one of those risk assessments and possibly wouldn't if asked
The only one of interest to me is whether non registration is riskier than registration

I know H+S is important to many of you,( I dont share that H+S culture)but dont you think it absurd that registering,on the whole one man bands,its H+S overkill and beaurocratic crap

Who in their right mind would fill in one of those forms to go and do a days work whilst on your tod

Des I totally agree with you but unfortunately the scheme providors insist on everyone having one so why not just, at day 1, put everything down that you can possibly think of.
In my experience the usual correct answer is training.

I totaly agree with all this. I know Im competant enough, I have my 2391, 2382, 2330, but its what I have to do. Bloody government. Anyway I dont want to start a register or no register war but its a waste of time IMO, just like JIB. Anyway, thanks for the advice guys, i will add a bit more to my risk assessment to plaese my assessor and I will prob not fill one out again.

Cheers

Jay

H&S don’t you just love it….. I joined a new company, very in to risk assessment. So a job comes in that non of us wanted to do. By the time we’d finished with the RA, changing a light fitting in an office was more dangerous than changing uranium rods in a live reactor.
I was given a job to re lamp a plant. OK book a ladder out of stores, easy thinks I. Oh no, working at heights, a scaffold had to be built for me to get to each of the fittings. The scaffolders were that pi**ed off with it the foreman came to me and asked for a box of lamps, “we’ll change the bulbs, if that doesn’t work then we’ll build the scaffold!”
I had to hide for two months.

Jay
I have my elecsa assessment this wednesday. They send you a RA with
your intro back. It's really simple to use.
I can send you one if you want.
Cheers steve

Jay
I have my elecsa assessment this wednesday. They send you a RA with
your intro back. It's really simple to use.
I can send you one if you want.
Cheers steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the offer mate, I might take you up on that. Im still waiting for my pack to arrive. I paid for it online as it was cheaper (cheap skate) last Wed and havent heard owt yet.

Cheers

Jay

Reply to Help!!!!! Brain freeze about risk assessment!!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net