Discuss HELP!!! Career advise needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jaquesy80

Hi all, thanks for taking the time for reading this post. I need help and hope that you guys can offer some advise. OK, here goes. Im a 31 year old electricians mate from near Leeds who decided 2 years ago that enough was enough with crappy jobs. After being offered a self employed role as a sparks labourer I jumped at the chance. I loved the job and decided to go to college part time, 1 day a week. At 29 years old then, i thought now or never. In the last 2 years I have worked on industrial, domestic and commercial sites and i believe have pushed myself up to being a very good sparkys mate, even daring to do some work on my own for family and friends ( tested by sparkys afterwards, of course!!). The thing is im now at a crossroad. I am doing really well at college on my 2330 lvl2 and have always, luckily been able to find some work. But being self employed, as im sure a lot of you will know is hard work. The strain of getting invoices in on time and payments etc. I am desperate to be taken on by a firm. I cant afford to self fund my college coures again next year as im just not earning enough at the moment, Working only 4 days a week due to college. I am contacting all JIB affiliated firms with my cv and cover letter explaining my situation in the hope that i might get offered something permanent, but i am thinking that the chances are slim!!! If im not succesful what should I do???? Should I take time off college for a term and save up??? Build up my on-site experience before going back and completing 2330 level 3???? Is there a government scheme for sole traders to take on adult trainees which covers there costs that i can tempt potential employers with????? If you have been in this situation or you are someone who can just offer help or advice then please feel free to post a message. Any help is greatly appreciated. One day I will be the owner of a JIB card that says electrician next to my name, im bloody determined Thanks for reading, Jaquesy80.

First off, best of luck to you mate. It's good to see someone prepared to put the hard yards in rather than the Electrical Trainee route.

While you're working make sure you get plenty of photo's, you'll need them for your NVQ when the time comes. Please don't give up, you'll get there

You should totally stick with it as you are almost there. Like Trev says it's good to see someone doing it properly and your determination will pay you off. Not only in getting qualified but as a strong character trait when seeking employment.

Thanks guys. The strain is getting a bit much financially. I will do this one way or another , maybe a direct debit scheme is available. have looked at online studies which would enable me to work 5 days, but i just dont feel as confident without a tutors guidance. Will hopefully get some good and productive feedback off my cvs.

Reply to HELP!!! Career advise needed!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net