Discuss HELP: City & Guild 2394/5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TantrumPRO

Hi Guys,

I've recently enrolled onto the City & Guilds 2394/5 which i am due to start in April.

Just looking for pointers really from anybody who has done this. I've heard the exam its pretty difficult.:uhoh2:

A brief heads up on what's to expect or any tips you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies if I have posted this thread in the wrong section.

It's like anything else, go in prepared and you'll be fine. Make GN3 your holygrail from now until april. Read it, read it again and then read it some more.

2394/2395 are pretty tough yeah, but it seperates the men from the boys. The older/wiser sparks amongst the group will remind us that they're a smidge of what 2391 was but even so, they're still very failable if you're unprepared.

Quite alot of employers try and rush sparks through these courses ... you, and you only will know whether you're capable / ready to sit these exams.

Have a look too, at the Examiner's Comments on past exams, on the C&G website. Some comments are a bit repetitive, but they give you an insight as to how the markers think and what they are looking for in answers. As with most exams, read and re- read the question, to make sure you answer what's being asked - C&G papers have a habit of tripping you up in this regard.
And another vote for reading GN3 'till your eyes bleed!

It's like anything else, go in prepared and you'll be fine. Make GN3 your holygrail from now until april. Read it, read it again and then read it some more.

2394/2395 are pretty tough yeah, but it seperates the men from the boys. The older/wiser sparks amongst the group will remind us that they're a smidge of what 2391 was but even so, they're still very failable if you're unprepared.

Quite alot of employers try and rush sparks through these courses ... you, and you only will know whether you're capable / ready to sit these exams.

This is certainly true of the 2394, did that with my eyes shut. The 2395 however (I've heard) has similar pass/fail rates to the 2391 and is considered not far off a par.

This is certainly true of the 2394, did that with my eyes shut. The 2395 however (I've heard) has similar pass/fail rates to the 2391 and is considered not far off a par.

I know the lecturer fairly well at my local college, and after i did the 2394 and 2395 C+G combined, he later told me that 5 out of 12 had passed. So yeah will agree the fail rate is similar, but some people still tend to think the 2391 is gods gift.

In my eyes you shouldn't really be failing an exam in all honesty, if you failed it you're obviously not prepared ... you shouldn't sit it untill you're confident you can pass it. I suppose this is slightly an unfair statement as some people can get unlucky regarding the wording, as C+G always demand the correct terminology ... E.g if you're describing a continuity test and fail to state whether its test method 1 or 2 and instead you put 'long lead' you can fail the question even though you've got the answer correct - bit stupid really, but rules are rules i suppose.

Anyway good luck to the OP, let us know how you get on.

I know the lecturer fairly well at my local college, and after i did the 2394 and 2395 C+G combined, he later told me that 5 out of 12 had passed. So yeah will agree the fail rate is similar, but some people still tend to think the 2391 is gods gift.

In my eyes you shouldn't really be failing an exam in all honesty, if you failed it you're obviously not prepared ... you shouldn't sit it untill you're confident you can pass it. I suppose this is slightly an unfair statement as some people can get unlucky regarding the wording, as C+G always demand the correct terminology ... E.g if you're describing a continuity test and fail to state whether its test method 1 or 2 and instead you put 'long lead' you can fail the question even though you've got the answer correct - bit stupid really, but rules are rules i suppose.

Anyway good luck to the OP, let us know how you get on.

Straight out of college I sat the 2394/5 combined. I was on a one week intensive course. When it came to testing of Earth Rods the lecturer calmly informed us that he'd never seen a question on them come up and pretty much glossed over it. This was on the Friday, exam on the Monday. I should've looked at it myself over the weekend but didn't, ended up getting a 15 mark question on it and failed the exam.

The college gave us a free day refresher and free re-take because of this, and second time around I flew through. Still only 2 of 5 of us passed second time around though.

"that he'd never seen a question on them come up and pretty much glossed over it."

this is a fundamental technique that city and guilds can test on at any time, bad teaching if it was just glossed over. Although you should have revised over it yourself then you might have passed first time.

"that he'd never seen a question on them come up and pretty much glossed over it."

this is a fundamental technique that city and guilds can test on at any time, bad teaching if it was just glossed over. Although you should have revised over it yourself then you might have passed first time.

I don't disagree with you. I should've revised it myself, but I stupidly took his advice. Also, I had just spent 8 hours a day in a classroom for a whole week for the first time since 6th form. I wanted to go out on the p*ss for the weekend!

Reply to HELP: City & Guild 2394/5 in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net