Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Help - confused a little in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cirrus

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Have been to look at a job tonight which is a bathroom. Need to get power into it for an unswitched spur and also install a ceiling fan. Had a look at the board and it is an old rewireable fuse type. Now, gas and water bond seem to be on 4 or 6 mm earth. Advised this is upgraded along with the board. Now, if he says he doesn't want the board changing or equipotential bonding upgrading then am I still ok to do the bathroom works? Wouldn't be installing a new circuit, simply breaking into existing circuits.

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
P

PAUL M

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I Know What Your Saying ,i Come Up Against This All The Time But If You Do Any Work In The Property Arn"t You Supposed To Upgrade The Earthing As A Minimum.

P

PAUL M

well the work you are doing in the bathroom will require a minor works cert and it asks on the cert about adequate earthing.

C

Cirrus

Am gonna renew equipotential bonds, cage bonding, main tails as a start!

S

Shakey

Have been to look at a job tonight which is a bathroom. Need to get power into it for an unswitched spur and also install a ceiling fan. Had a look at the board and it is an old rewireable fuse type. Now, gas and water bond seem to be on 4 or 6 mm earth. Advised this is upgraded along with the board. Now, if he says he doesn't want the board changing or equipotential bonding upgrading then am I still ok to do the bathroom works? Wouldn't be installing a new circuit, simply breaking into existing circuits.
Cirrus, just done a post on this (rewire - how far)

under 16th, , reg 130-07-01 "no alteration or addition ...etc etc unless the earthing and bonding arrangements are also adequate"

You re doing an altertion, so sorry, but main bonds it is old chum;)

A

Andy M

Will you do the work to 16th or 17th? if so RCBO's so insist on board change

danzor

-
Mentor
Arms
i always make sure main bonds are in. always thought it was law? correct me if im wrong. Or a law to me :eek:

P

PAUL M

I Was Told By Nic Man If The Customer Refuses To Upgrade Earthing I Am To Explain To Them In Writing Why The Work Cant Be Done And Dont Do It,i Would Spend Half My Time Writing Letters.

C

Cirrus

This is the thing. If he refuses me the work because I say his earthing arrangements are not up to standard then he will just get another spark in who really doesn't give a monkeys and will do aything for the money even if it contravenes regs

S

Shakey

Meaning what exactly?
Cirrus, as a guess, i would say what he means is 'tough doo doo's'

Just because a cowboy may come behind you and do the work that the regs is limiting you to do, do does not give you authority to circumvent the regs yourself, which seems to be what you are suggesting.

The regs requires that you lose the job before just ignoring what is an extant requirement , just to earn the buck

like the man said, life's a bitch, and no-one said it was gonna be fair;);)

P

PAUL M

YOU TOOK THE WORDS RIGHT OUT OF MY MOUTH SHAKEY,ITS NOT FAIR , PART P AS DONE NOTHING TO DETER THE COWBOYS IT HAS JUST MADE IT HARDER TO RUN YOUR BUISNESS .I HAVE BEEN TEMPTED TO SAY SOD IT AND DO THE WORK ANYWAY IN THE PAST BUT IT AINT WORTH IT,IT IS NOT A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD BECAUSE A COWBOY HAS NONE OF THE OVERHEADS THAT WE HAVE ,AND THE COUNCILS ARE NOT EVEN POLICING IT. THERE WAS A ARTICLE IN THE LAST EDITION OF SWITCHED ON MAG ,IF YOU KNOW OF ANYBODY DOING WORK AND NOT PART P THEY WANT YOU TO PHONE UP AND GRASS ON THEM,SO KNOW THEY WANT SPARKIES TO POLICE IT FOR THEM.:mad:

A

Andy M

Let it go

The other "sparks" will be in the dock not you
I know it is frustrating, 80% of jobs i visit the bonds are missing in the wrong place or undersized, which means i have to visit even the most minor job to quote before hand. most people will accept it if you "sell" yourself and make a point about safety, i usually send a copy of the NIC glossy guide titled "Why must earthing and bonding be checked" and that has worked well and the customer doesn't think you are bull****ting them.

The NIC helpline told me that walking away is often the wisest thing to do and even if you loose a days work you could loose a lot more

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to Help - confused a little in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Top Bottom