Discuss HELP! EICR advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

a111an

DIY
Reaction score
I wonder if any electricians can offer some advice? I feel that I may be getting taken for a ride. I rent out a 2 bedroom flat built in 2005 that has just needed an EICR. The letting agents have managed this for me and the report has come back as failed with a draft quote to pass the EICR that consists of a new consumer unit and other bits for £1173.60!

My main concerns in the report are that I have the following C2's.

A) Additional RCD protection is required for circuits supplying outdoor equipment...

The main sockets are on RCD protection, but it's a 3rd floor flat. I can't see why outdoor equipment would be mentioned?

B) Consumer unit is not fire rated...

Looking at the report it is a C2 on the Observations page, but on the Inspection schedule page, it's a C3. Could it be both?

Additionally to the C2's above, they are charging me to fix an open circuit on the earth, would they not have tested all the sockets on the test and fixed them, if required, as they went along?

I have also wondered what 'Replace fixed bathroom fittings' at £154+vat would be, any ideas?.

I have gone back to letting agent to pass my questions and concerns over to the electrical company and they have just responded with the following:

We have reviewed the EICR again and stand by what we have advised, the parts where the LL suggested the work doesn't need doing due to the regs is a really grey area, it depends on the engineer as to whether they would recommend the works or not - and rather we say they do not need work and an issue were to arise, that would leave us liable for not recommending these works be completed.

We might be airing on the side of caution, but we would rather be safe than sorry.

Is this a fair response, and not to answer my questions above? Does the report and draft quote look fair? EICR has already cost me £200.

Thank you for taking the time to read the above.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have deleted the links as they show too many personal details including the testing company. You can repost these but blank out any addresses and personal information.

I have deleted the links as they show too many personal details including the testing company. You can repost these but blank out any addresses and personal information.
Report and quote re-attached. Thanks.

Attachments

• draft_quote.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 87
  • eicr fail p1.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 92
  • eicr fail p2.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 89
  • eicr fail p4.jpg
    173.7 KB · Views: 83
  • eicr fail p5.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 74
  • eicr fail p6.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 78
  • eicr fail p7.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 89
There are still details of the tester on the General Condition Of The Installation form. Including address.

Can you post a picture of your consumer unit showing the circuits, protective devices etc? Also is it located in an escape route or is it in a cupboard etc?

Note to self, I need to put my prices up...

Yea it starts off ok on the observation list but, the sockets all appear to have rcd protection but the rcd is not tested for some reason. The c2 items I'd probably put as c3, and remove the rubbish about outdoor circuits. The tick list is a joke though with things ticked that don't seem to be applicable to the installation.

The testing company hasn't been blanked either :)

Hi - when doing a Report there is no obligation to fix issues, but I certainly would’ve fixed a loose earth wire as part of confirming all terminations are sound. However, if the fault wasn’t there in front of me I would record Further Investigation code and move on.

I have seen where a Report bigs up an issue and then quotes big to fix it. So I would get an independent Electrician to quote for repairs. Many good Electricians here would be happy to help if you need a quote.

Bathroom lights might not be IP rated for use in there, so fair enough if true. A plastic CU in good condition is normally C3.

Can you post a picture of your consumer unit showing the circuits, protective devices etc? Also is it located in an escape route or is it in a cupboard etc?

Note to self, I need to put my prices up...
The consumer unit is not in the Hallway as mentioned in the report. It is in a small storage area with a fire door at the front of the property high up near the ceiling. Pictures attached - thanks.

Attachments

• hall.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Annotation 2020-10-28 120113 (1).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 67
With the rcd off check to see if all sockets are dead. Use a small appliance like a hair dryer to verify.

It would be possible to add RCD protection to circuits if required.

However on the test results sheets there's no mention of RCD tests carried out.

Additional protection for the bathroom would normally attract a C3 if there's supplementary bonding in place. Without seeing the installation I can't comment fully.

Additional protection for outdoor equipment is not applicable as it is a third floor flat, no code.

Consumer unit not fire rated is not even a code, it should be made of non-combustible material however as it is located in a cupboard away from an escape route it would only attract a C3.

Smoke detectors are not part of the installation and shouldn't be coded, they should receive a comment advising they're replaced, they do not fall under BS7671.

They haven't even coded the discontinuous conductor on the ring final circuit yet have quoted for investigation and rectification? At my normal call out rate and hourly charge that's four hours to find a broken CPC in a flat? They're taking the Mickey.

Reply to HELP! EICR advice please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net