Discuss Help for running SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi lads ,

I’m interested to run a SWA cable on my garden for my small one bedroom flat.

I have planned to use 100amp double pole 3 way connection service block after the meter , then I want to use 63 AMP double pole RCD in metal enclosure and from there to run my 6.0mm SWA armoured Cable up to my flat where will be installed new CU with shower, radiator, ring and lighting .

The distance from my house to the flat is around 80 meters.

My question is if this is right and comply with regs ?

Thanks

What is the maximum demand for the flat?
Why the use of an RCD?
The cable of 80 metres is substantial for a 6.0mm2 cable and the stated load you suggest.

I suggest you get a spark involved before it’s too late.

Hi lads ,

I have planned to use 100amp double pole 3 way connection service block after the meter , then I want to use 63 AMP double pole RCD in metal enclosure and from there to run my 6.0mm SWA armoured Cable up to my flat where will be installed new CU with shower, radiator, ring and lighting .

Thanks
Your post make very little sense Mate, perhaps you explain your problem in a more lucid way we could try and help you out, for example where do you intent to run this SWA from, "on your garden" what do you mean exactly? sounds like you need the expertise of someone who knows what they are doing.

Here we go again.

This is subject to part P as will. Your garden flat, so please consult a local spark and pay them to do it for you.

Here we go again.

This is subject to part P as will. Your garden flat, so please consult a local spark and pay them to do it for you.
Hi lads ,

Thanks
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

You’ll need to design this cable, if for instance you have a 9kW shower, 2kW electric radiator, plus some ltg &small PWR you’ll be having substantial Vd problems - circa 30-35v.

Depends on actual load, but I would advise you strongly to check your calculations.

Your post make very little sense Mate, perhaps you explain your problem in a more lucid way we could try and help you out, for example where do you intent to run this SWA from, "on your garden" what do you mean exactly? sounds like you need the expertise of someone who knows what they are doing.

The SWA run from my house , from my place where my meter is to the small flat or garage end of my garden which is about 80 meters.
The I will put new CU with 8.5kW shower, 1.5kW radiator , light and power ring .

You’ll need to design this cable, if for instance you have a 9kW shower, 2kW electric radiator, plus some ltg &small PWR you’ll be having substantial Vd problems - circa 30-35v.

Depends on actual load, but I would advise you strongly to check your calculations.

8.5kW shower , 1.2kW radiator, 3 LED it cannot be more then 1kW , and PWR .

bloody sight more than 6.0mm that's 4 sure. 6.omm would struggle just on the shower alone @ 80m.

Sorry but closing this thread, what your asking and wanting to do is beyond DIY, as a forum we have to offer the correct advice with safety in mind and also the regulations surrounding it, this is not a task you should be doing without onsite professional guidance and testing with signing off. If you have any issues please PM me.

Last edited:

Reply to Help for running SWA cable in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock