Discuss Help for wiring an outdoor floodlight. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi I need some advice/help as complete Novice. I have just purchased a new build and on this i have an outside light that is powered by a switch indoors. However I would like to install a flood light above it using the power that is supplying the existing light. There is a power block on the existing light where the power cables feed into, and the cables from the light connect to this block on the opposite connectors. Next to the block where the power cables connect to, there is an empty slot next to each of the Live, Neutral and Earth connectors. Could i simply connect some 1.5mm 3 core from these to the flood light block connector?
As this is to be mounted outdoor a brick wall would i need to use some conduit? If so how could i make sure the connections are water proof?

Thanks in advance for any help someone is able to offer.

as long as you want the floodlight to work off the same switch anf it's notone with a PIR sensor, just extend the brown/ble and gn/Y from existibg light. use 0.75mm black flex (pond flex is good) secured with 7mm black clips.

There is a power block on the existing the power cables feed into, and the cables from the light connect to this block on the opposite connectors. Next to the block where the power cables connect to, there is an empty slot next to each of the Live, Neutral and Earthconnectors.

I'm still trying to decipher this

Thanks for the replies it does have pir motion sensor on it
then you need a permanent L and N. maybe from the existing light switch? best get a local sparks to sort it for you.

Depending on how easy it is to take another cable out of the existing light fitting you might want to consider an appropriate IP rated junction box and then splitting to both lights.

Hi HK - you might want to consider getting some help with this job? I say this because it might not be an easy first job. While the electrical connections are likely to be straight forward, there are other things... You will be drilling holes and using tools while up the ladder, connecting conductors you're not familiar while balancing the new light on your knee, being neat and making it water proof. Just saying :) .

When I fit exterior light fittings, I try to fix them at the same height as the void between a ceiling and floor.
That way, I can drill through the wall into the void and most of the wiring can be hidden.

The easiest option for you would be to replace this light with the pir one and use the switch as a isolator. You can connect multiple lights together. Anything else will require lots of extra work.

Yeah thats what i thought would be needed. How about if i wanted to raise the hight of the new pir light? How would i cover the exiting hole some one on the other forum that posted in suggest that i install a junction box

Yeah thats what i thought would be needed. How about if i wanted to raise the hight of the new pir light? How would i cover the exiting hole some one on the other forum that posted in suggest that i install a junction box
Get someone experienced to do it. Simple job for them......for you, plenty of ways to slip up.

Reply to Help for wiring an outdoor floodlight. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock