Discuss Help identify wires - Need help with a light switch install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

zaxxon

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to install a smart light switch and when I took the cover off my existing light switch I was very confused by what I saw.

New lights switch that I want to install:

here is my existing lights switch. I see the white neutral wires in the back (not in use) but what do I do with the red wire and black wires?

there are no other lights in the room but my sump pump is in the same room.

I tried wiring the following:
white: white
black:black
black:black

the result was the lights wouldn't turn on but for some reason, I could turn my sump pump on or off from the light switch.

i appreciate any guidance with this so I don't have to hire an electrician.

thank you

Attachments

• PXL_20211228_194203952.MP.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20211228_194119367.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 11
Can you show a good picture of the back of the existing switch to show the connection of both blacks.

White from new switch to whites at wall.
Both blacks from wall to one of the blacks at the new switch.
Red from wall to other black of new switch.
Green from new switch to bare ground at wall.

It is not important which way around the blacks at the new switch are used.
Assuming you haven't damaged the switch by your other connections that should be it.

Reply to Help identify wires - Need help with a light switch install in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I’m looking to install 3 meross smart switches for 3 lights: entrance switch: only 1 gang but 3 way switch bedroom switch: 2 gang (1 is 1...
Replies
Views
L
WIRING FOR WALL SMART SWITCH FOR CEILING FAN/LIGHT Just bought a smart wall switch for a ceiling fan/light currently connected to a single switch...
Replies
Views
littletwinn
L
I have 2 lights connected to 1 switch. I installed a led light fixture on one light, it had one red wire and one black wires. It was easy to match...
Replies
Views
I hope someone can help with this as I'm stumped. My landing hallway ceiling (2016-build house) has two rose pendants which I've attempted to...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, after temporary removing a Sonoff that I've installed years ago to do some painting, I'm unable to get everything back to work. I've...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock